Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

Roof Stuck

45K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  Texasjag 
#1 ·
Put my roof up before I had my car detailed. Drove it home let it dry and then it won't go down again now it says "Roof not latched max speed 30 mph"

move the switch (pull up) to put the top up it says "Roof latched" then 1-2 seconds later "Roof not latched max speed 30 mph" again.

Tried driving a while tried turning the car off/on nothing resets it.

Called the 24/hr road side assistance - totally worthless said we can tow your car. They couldn't even tell me if I would get a loaner (100 mile RT to my dealer and if I keep it under 30 mph that's a long RT).

IMHO I think it is latched but a broken sensor - this hurts $85K on a car and the convertible top is stuck up after just 1,200 miles.

So I guess I have the first F-type coupe - go figure buy a convertible and the top won't go down!

#2 ·
Just a thought here...If you think that the roof is latched, disconnect the battery and see if the ECM will reset itself. It might be worthwhile to scan the owners manual first to see if this action does anything else that might be unwanted. Is the car's speed actually limited by the fault or is it just a warning?

#4 ·
papagolf I didn't have the manual in the car with me yesterday, took it out to read a few sections last week.
papagolf said:
users manual discusses using top manually if motorized system fails. Check that out. Maybe if you manually lower the roof then put it back it will reset the sensor. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip about being able to "manually lower the roof" - This was what I was looking for when I called roadside assistance last night.

Chip, it is just a warning it does go over 30 mph, but you keep thinking if I hope onto the Freeway will my roof just "rip off".

#7 ·
Okay, quite odd after several hours I started my car up and the roof actually went down, almost all the way, but the final step with the side "wings" failed, they didn't fold down flat - looked a bit like wolf ears. So I deemed it safe to drive went to a much more local dealership (my "sales" dealership said go local) and I dropped it off. Remember it was stuck completely in the up position last night so it seams like something "dried out" a bit over night.

Here is the response from my service manager after 7 hours:

My shop foreman has been working on your vehicle, he has found that we need to replace the conv top motor. We do not have one in stock.

Unfortunately we have not been able to get an answer from Jaguar about how quickly we can get the part, we will have to wait until tomorrow to have an answer.

I do have Enterprise on site please let me know if you would like to come in to get into a loaner, I do have a Jaguar XF.
I don't like "Unfortunately we have not been able to get an answer from Jaguar about how quickly we can get the part" sure hope it isn't from England and especially isn't shipped like the cars are to the West coast via the panama canal.

IMHO I still think the sensor is toast (I let them know - I think it is a water short after a wash), but I have no interest in an loaner XF and all the associated rental paperwork (an XJL might be a different matter as I have my eye on the latest model for my wife to replace a XJ). I know I must sound spoiled, "nah I don't want an XF", but my car was delivered right to my house my sales transaction for my F-type to 90 seconds, I like to have cars waiting at the curb when I fly to other airports when I walk out of the baggage area, I just guess I like to be pampered and not spend time at rental counters or sales offices.

An yes to make everyone feel a bit better when I first called the 24 hr line Jaguar did offer to come get it (tow? flatbed?) right away that night, they just didn't know things like you can put it down/up manually, disconnect the battery etc.

Funny isn't it I don't want to deal with rental paper work but I have no problem disconnecting my battery and tinkering with my new toy a bit.

#8 ·
Okay it's been 28 hours since the local Jaguar dealer got my car and they can't get an ETA on getting a replacement for the convertible top motor.

They offered to "permanently put my top up" and turn my F-type into a "true" coupe.

Not exactly what I had in mind when I placed my custom Factory order in Nov. 2012 - I guess I will have enjoy summer in SoCal with the top up?.

#10 ·
DJS good idea, I did indeed PM, Mike (he was helpful on other delivery issues). Where things stand dealer had the car two full days, gave me the car back saying they couldn't get and ETA on the convertible top motor, only saying they would Call and E-mail me if/when they find out more.

Update 7/19/2013: I still don't know anything more and don't have a part ETA, but Mike got Jaguar Corp. looking into this and they just asked for some info and will be looking into this issue.

#11 ·
This does not bode well for the rapid deployment of any needed part for this new platform. I would want to think that the Jag team would want to do an autopsy on the failed part to see if additional action is required for the rest of the sold F-Type fleet.

#12 ·
Chip,
Chip said:
This does not bode well for the rapid deployment of any needed part for this new platform.
I have to admit now that's its been a full six days going on seven, I am a bit disappointed - no ETA on the part(s) to replace my faulty convertible top motor(s) - and worse yet absolutely no update from my Jaguar service rep.

Tomorrow if things are still a vacuum I will go to a different dealership and see if they can provide better service.

#14 ·
My part finally came in today, dropped the car off at the shop for another two days, still would have been nice to get an ETA - but the dealer said the part "just showed up" and they themselves never got and update.

On another note, they gave me an a low millage (200 miles) XF as a loaner car while my car is in the shop - let me tell you it is a big let down to drive this after the F-Type - unfortunately the XF reminds me a bit of those vinyl Mercedes Benz taxis you find in Europe yet it has leather seats [?] (note, I love the XJ portfolio's and XJL portfolio's). IMHO something seems really lacking in the XF and if Jagaur wants to capture this segment it sorely needs and interior face-lift for the XF.

#16 ·
Chip, first they ohm'd out every connection - all ok. Then removed the motor applied juice (power) stand alone and it was bricked. Don't really think Jaguar wants the old part

Chip said:
Good news! Will you be told what the problem was with the old part?
Next after one (1) day in the XF loaner I have to say my F-Type seems so underpriced I'm not ony happy again I'm downright ecstatic I own this car. If Jaguar doesn't improve the loaner pool IMHO there might be some suicides in the future.

And a silver lining - apparently my rear speaker (subwoofer) was punctured and that got replaced - and I do notice the difference.

#17 ·
GerryJag said:
... Don't really think Jaguar wants the old part...
Failure analysis is a big deal in the manufacturing world today. It is essential that manufacturers understand why parts fail, and if a part supplier is not producing a quality part up to the established design specifications. I bet they are interested, or at least should be. Even more so if your issue has shown up on other cars. Glad to hear they got you squared away!

#18 ·
Chip you were spot on, Jaguar really should have asked for the part as my roof failed a second time.

I picked up my car on July 23 in the afternoon when my service rep said it was all done, and then my convertible top failed again on the July 26 with the same issue.

In the three days since it was repaired I only put the roof up and down no more than eight (8) times and then it failed again the same way. So obviously the local service guys don't seem to have found the actual root cause because it seems like the car seems to fry $625 motors like they are cheap disposable BIC razors.

IMHO maybe Jaguar needs to really take a hard look at this one and do some postmortem analysis on this convertible top issue. If there are known problems in the UK with the electrical system and the convertible top it sure would be nice if my servicing Jaguar dealer was made aware of them as I don't want to take my care to the shop every 3 days.

So it's back at the shop at 7:00 am sharp Monday July 29th in the first available service slot. Not looking forward to a week long stint in a lowly Jaguar XF loaner because my F-Type is so awesome when it works and it really does spoil me.

#19 ·
Gerry; Man...I am sorry to hear this! Let me ask you, does the top just quit working, and / or are there other things like fuses blowing as well? When the motor quits is it after an opening or closing cycle, or is it mid-cycle? I guess it could be anywhere in the operational range of the top as well? What sort of support have you received from "Tech. Support" @ Jaguar? All this begs another question: Is your problem a one of a kind issue, or is it a problem that will surface with other owners cars? Good luck and keep us posted.

As a side note I had to laugh at your comment "Seems like the car seems to fry $625 motors like they are cheap disposable BIC razors." I know at this point it is not real funny to you, but I guess it is good to have a sense of humor when dealing with such things. I hope they come up with a real fix for your car soon!

#20 ·
This is what happens when you purchase a car on the 1st year production, perhaps we all should it waited a little untill all the bugs were fix. This is my 1st Jag and this issues are alarming, coming over from Mercedez, Audi and BMW were there service is fast and precise. Maybe I'm just spoiled

#21 ·
I too had a roof malfunction within 300 miles and 4 days. It sporadically went up and down and without any intervention several times over a few hours and when driving! Like Gerry I am also currently in an XF loaner (just not the same experience and a poor cousin for me).There needs to be a better option as I bought a convertible! I am being told a new roof switch is the problem. It is being delivered, installed and tested on Monday. Really want my car back, not a good start but I know it will get better.

#22 ·
Hey ZakJag

ZakJag said:
I too had a roof malfunction within 300 miles and 4 days. It sporadically went up and down and without any intervention several times over a few hours and when driving!
Are you saying your roof just started going up and down all by itself ? If so that's a bit different than what I was seeing - but a bad/intermittent switch might explain what I last experienced.

My roof just didn't work like the switch was disconnected - my car sat in the garage for two days over the weekend and when I dropped it off at the dealer it just worked for them they kept it a full day and couldn't get it to fail. I haven't had an issue since I picked it up on Tuesday (only been four days). So it wasn't the convertible top motor this last time, I think that's a good thing. Even though the service guys checked out all my car's wiring, they didn't find anything wrong with the convertible top system. I don't have a warm fuzzy about my issue being solved. I will of course post again if I learn more.

BTW ZakJag let us know how long the switch takes to get to your dealer.

#24 ·
Hello.
I've had a similar issue to Gerry. I'm based in UK, so I think my service is going to be better.
I heard a funny flapping noise from the roof when I put it up, so I thought I'd better test it.
It stuck halfway down, so I drove 1/2 mile to the dealership to drop it off. They think it's a module that has corrupted, something to do with sending commands to the roof motor. They think they can get the new part in by tomorrow. When I pressed the button, it gave me the same warning message that you got, Gerry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.