Roof Stuck - Jaguar F-Type Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Roof Stuck

Put my roof up before I had my car detailed. Drove it home let it dry and then it won't go down again now it says "Roof not latched max speed 30 mph"

move the switch (pull up) to put the top up it says "Roof latched" then 1-2 seconds later "Roof not latched max speed 30 mph" again.

Tried driving a while tried turning the car off/on nothing resets it.

Called the 24/hr road side assistance - totally worthless said we can tow your car. They couldn't even tell me if I would get a loaner (100 mile RT to my dealer and if I keep it under 30 mph that's a long RT).

IMHO I think it is latched but a broken sensor - this hurts $85K on a car and the convertible top is stuck up after just 1,200 miles.

So I guess I have the first F-type coupe - go figure buy a convertible and the top won't go down!
post #2 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

RE: Roof Stuck

Just a thought here...If you think that the roof is latched, disconnect the battery and see if the ECM will reset itself. It might be worthwhile to scan the owners manual first to see if this action does anything else that might be unwanted. Is the car's speed actually limited by the fault or is it just a warning?
post #3 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM

users manual discusses using top manually if motorized system fails. Check that out. Maybe if you manually lower the roof then put it back it will reset the sensor. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

papagolf I didn't have the manual in the car with me yesterday, took it out to read a few sections last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papagolf
users manual discusses using top manually if motorized system fails. Check that out. Maybe if you manually lower the roof then put it back it will reset the sensor. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip about being able to "manually lower the roof" - This was what I was looking for when I called roadside assistance last night.

Chip, it is just a warning it does go over 30 mph, but you keep thinking if I hope onto the Freeway will my roof just "rip off".
post #5 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM
DJS

Have you talked to your dealer? I would think they'd send a flatbed, but maybe I'm just naďve.

2014 Salsa Red F-type V6S
post #6 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

I can well understand that concern! Keep us informed as to how this plays out. IMO the dealer should come get it. I am sure we all will be interested in what the problem is, and what it will take to fix it. Good luck!
post #7 of 41 Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Okay, quite odd after several hours I started my car up and the roof actually went down, almost all the way, but the final step with the side "wings" failed, they didn't fold down flat - looked a bit like wolf ears. So I deemed it safe to drive went to a much more local dealership (my "sales" dealership said go local) and I dropped it off. Remember it was stuck completely in the up position last night so it seams like something "dried out" a bit over night.

Here is the response from my service manager after 7 hours:

Quote:
My shop foreman has been working on your vehicle, he has found that we need to replace the conv top motor. We do not have one in stock.

Unfortunately we have not been able to get an answer from Jaguar about how quickly we can get the part, we will have to wait until tomorrow to have an answer.

I do have Enterprise on site please let me know if you would like to come in to get into a loaner, I do have a Jaguar XF.
I don't like "Unfortunately we have not been able to get an answer from Jaguar about how quickly we can get the part" sure hope it isn't from England and especially isn't shipped like the cars are to the West coast via the panama canal.

IMHO I still think the sensor is toast (I let them know - I think it is a water short after a wash), but I have no interest in an loaner XF and all the associated rental paperwork (an XJL might be a different matter as I have my eye on the latest model for my wife to replace a XJ). I know I must sound spoiled, "nah I don't want an XF", but my car was delivered right to my house my sales transaction for my F-type to 90 seconds, I like to have cars waiting at the curb when I fly to other airports when I walk out of the baggage area, I just guess I like to be pampered and not spend time at rental counters or sales offices.

An yes to make everyone feel a bit better when I first called the 24 hr line Jaguar did offer to come get it (tow? flatbed?) right away that night, they just didn't know things like you can put it down/up manually, disconnect the battery etc.

Funny isn't it I don't want to deal with rental paper work but I have no problem disconnecting my battery and tinkering with my new toy a bit.
post #8 of 41 Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Okay it's been 28 hours since the local Jaguar dealer got my car and they can't get an ETA on getting a replacement for the convertible top motor.

They offered to "permanently put my top up" and turn my F-type into a "true" coupe.

Not exactly what I had in mind when I placed my custom Factory order in Nov. 2012 - I guess I will have enjoy summer in SoCal with the top up?.
post #9 of 41 Old 07-18-2013, 02:11 PM
DJS

Wow - that sucks. Sounds like maybe you need some way to escalate it beyond the dealer? Wonder if Mike here could give advice on how to contact a regional service manager, or something like that?

2014 Salsa Red F-type V6S
post #10 of 41 Old 07-18-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

DJS good idea, I did indeed PM, Mike (he was helpful on other delivery issues). Where things stand dealer had the car two full days, gave me the car back saying they couldn't get and ETA on the convertible top motor, only saying they would Call and E-mail me if/when they find out more.

Update 7/19/2013: I still don't know anything more and don't have a part ETA, but Mike got Jaguar Corp. looking into this and they just asked for some info and will be looking into this issue.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode