Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

What Polish do you use?

11K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Chief Coop 
#1 ·
Hi. I wondered what Polish you use for your f type. Do jaguar recommend one like they do for the leather seats etc? Do you also recommend a cleaner / reproofing product?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

#2 ·
I took out a 1 hr subscription to Topix a few days ago and just trawled around, downloading interesting / relevant stuff specific to the F-type.

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm

I remember an older Jag document approving some selected autoglym products, but in the context that these were approved and thus would not create warranty issues. Unfortunately that was not one of the docs I downloaded.

So I guess they have an approval process and a poor choice could affect warranty.

#4 ·
Maybe one of you can set me straight. I have been rubbing waxes, sealants, polishes, quick detailers, and a host of other products on cars for a lot of years and I must admit that I just wish I understood how and why they do what they do. I have found over the years that being anal about keeping a car's exterior generally did more harm than good. What I mean is that being overzealous with the rubbing of these products on a cars exterior can over time create the very problems you are trying to prevent. I now wax my vehicles only twice a year, but I do wash them frequently. I have always wondered exactly how and why waxes and polishes will provide for a "shine" on a vehicles exterior. I also wonder just how much difference (in end result) is there in the "premium" wax products? I know many car guys have their own favorites and I get that, but sometimes it is hard for me to see a difference (when I am at a car meet) between cars I know had different products used on them. I guess I would also ask you all; How did you come to your selection of exterior care products? I would also ask about the newer synthetic waxes. Are they more durable, and / or is the shine they produce better than, or about the same as, Carnauba based products?

#10 ·
A lot said here Chip! I think the only time multiple wax moments are/is needed is if you are in car shows. I’ve seen those that strip wax then put more of the same on there. I’m like you. Twice a year unless I’m just bored. I think a good washing and quick detailers are just as effective. I’ve started using Mothers Ultimate Hybrid Ceramic Wax…easy on, easy off. Great results and smooth as a baby’s apple! Quick detail I use Lucas Slick Mist. Both are great for me. And since were at it, Cristal Products Untouchable Wet Tire Finish is what I use on my tires. Always get compliments. No I’m not promoting as I walk in Advance like everyone else and buy it.

#6 ·
I have a test for all of you. What I would ask you to do is get a thin walled sandwich bag, insert several fingers into it, then lightly move it across the surface of your car fender, door, or wherever. What do you feel? How smooth does it feel?

#7 ·
I think what Chip is referring or getting at is whether the car needs to have a clay bar remove the contaminants. I used Zaino for years and years and became aware of that company owning several Corvettes over the years. It seems to provide very good protection and shine and also lasts. I am sure there are others that work just as well or better but feel Zaino was much better than the typical Mothers or Mequiers. On the Jag I decided to have it ceramic coated and Xpel installed in the sensitive areas including the entire hood, bumper and front fenders. Now I simply wash with a power sprayer and dry with a leaf blower. I don't have to wax again.

#8 ·
I have used GYEON Quartz Q² CANCOAT as a long term coating to protect the paint. It is supposed to last much longer than waxes and other organic polishes. It was easy to apply and seems to be lasting as a hydrophobic coating.

#9 ·
When it comes to car detailing, having the right tools is critical. If you carefully read the article Ultimate Guide to Clay Mitts: How to Use and Choose the Best Clay Towels for Cars, then the advantage of clay towels becomes obvious.. Along with With clay towels, it is essential to have microfiber towels, high-quality car soap, and a spray to add shine and protect the paint. Remember to use gentle touch when working in small sections to avoid streaks. With these tools and patience, your car will look as flawless as if it came straight from the dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.