Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

Australian F-Type Price Drop based on Jag MD quotes?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Paulfcdx 
#1 ·
As my car (the one they forgot to finish building) is belatedly due into port (Brisbane) tonight and for delivery in about 2 weeks (?) and given the article quoted below I have asked Jaguar for clarification regarding price drops and if/how they are passed on to existing customers...

But the following is a very strange statement from an MD... unless they move quickly and effectively to make a decision and include the small number of early adopters.

We shall see...

quote "Jaguar F-Type pricing is being re-evaluated following aggressive price cuts by Porsche Cars Australia on approach to the launch of the British roadster, Jaguar Land Rover Asia Pacific managing director David Blackhall has claimed.

“We’re evaluating F-Type in the market because the reality is, publicly known, that our competitors moved progressively and that we just can’t sit still,” Blackhall began.

“We haven’t made any decisions around this yet [but] we’re currently evaluating it.”

Asked directly whether Porsche viewed the F-Type as a threat to its Boxster and 911 Cabriolet lines, Blackhall was unequivocal.

“The results seem to say they took a look at the car [F-Type] and said ‘we’re going to protect our turf’. Clearly if our key competitor changes the price relationship in the market we’ve got to think about what we can do to respond – is it more equipment, is it lower price? I don’t know"

In April this year, Porsche Cars Australia reduced the price of the Boxster to $101,500 (-$5500) and Boxster S to $126,500 (-$6800), while the 911 Carrera cabriolet moved to $228,900 (-$25,700) and the Carrera S cabriolet to $266,200 (-$21,600).

The Jaguar F-Type launched from A$139,000 for the 3.0-litre supercharged V6, A$171,400 for the V6 S and A$202,300 for the V8 S.

“We were comfortable with where we wound up,” Blakhall.

“We thought the car justified the price equation … but when the goalposts move, you’ve got to be a realist and say well we need to evaluate what that means for us.”

The managing director noted criticism of the F-Type’s extensive options list – with such normally standard items such as rain sensing wipers ($510) and dual-zone climate control ($980) – adding that making some options standard may be an alternative to a price reduction.

“They’re the sort of areas you’d evaluate. You’d also look at take rates, and say ‘what’s the take rate? Has it worked?’”

Blackhall maintained, however, that the F-Type has been a huge success for the local arm, with the first allocated batch of cars all sold-out.

“I’m not rushing [to change pricing], but I am evaluating.

“I’m being a bit pre-emptive here because the team has just written that paper, and I’ve got it and I haven’t read it yet…

“It’s an evaluation of what our competitive position is, and we need to digest that and understand what we should do”.

from

http://www.caradvice.com.au/257275/jaguar-f-type-porsche-forces-local-pricing-evaluation/

in the Sydney morning Herald Blackhalll said:

"We are evaluating what to do with F-Type in the market place at the moment," Jaguar Land Rover Asia Pacific boss, David Blackhall, told Drive during the launch of the all-new Range Rover Sport in Tasmania.

It says early demand for the car has exceeded it expectations with the initial shipment of vehicles already sold out, and has doubled its next order to meet further demand.

But it recognises that it may need to adjust the pricing and/or specification levels by including some of the long list of optional extras as standard equipment to compete on more even ground. None get a reversing camera or dual-zone air-conditioning as standard, for example, while things like heated seats and rain-sensing wipers also cost extra.

Blackhall has called on Jaguar to draft a review of the F-Type's position and is due to make a call on any future adjustments soon, although he admits any such move is unlikely to happen until 2014.

"We thought the car justified its price and performance but the goal posts were moved," Blackhall added.

"We're not resting but I am evaluating it at the moment."

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/jaguar-set-to-cut-ftype-pricing-20131029-2wcka.html

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for that Paul - well spotted!

I found out of the 40-odd cars in the first shipment to Australia (rumoured to have been sold out long ago) 33 are for sale on www.carsguide.com.au!

The MD's comment on 'take-up' rates is obviously pertinent to his 'evaluation' because my math pegs it just below 18%.

I think the market has spoken.

Very timely info - my Italian Racing Red V8S arrived in this shipment heavily customised - but with white carpet not black as I ordered! The headlining was also the wrong colour - both errors canceling my obligation to buy the car.

I'm currently negotiating but with rumours of a price-drop and review of equipment levels (and near zero sales) the initial depreciation could set a new record for a car.

Holy cow.

PANTHER
Sydney Australia

Paulfcdx said:
As my car (the one they forgot to finish building) is belatedly due into port (Brisbane) tonight and for delivery in about 2 weeks (?) and given the article quoted below I have asked Jaguar for clarification regarding price drops and if/how they are passed on to existing customers...

But the following is a very strange statement from an MD... unless they move quickly and effectively to make a decision and include the small number of early adopters.

We shall see...

quote "Jaguar F-Type pricing is being re-evaluated following aggressive price cuts by Porsche Cars Australia on approach to the launch of the British roadster, Jaguar Land Rover Asia Pacific managing director David Blackhall has claimed.

“We’re evaluating F-Type in the market because the reality is, publicly known, that our competitors moved progressively and that we just can’t sit still,” Blackhall began.

“We haven’t made any decisions around this yet [but] we’re currently evaluating it.”

Asked directly whether Porsche viewed the F-Type as a threat to its Boxster and 911 Cabriolet lines, Blackhall was unequivocal.

“The results seem to say they took a look at the car [F-Type] and said ‘we’re going to protect our turf’. Clearly if our key competitor changes the price relationship in the market we’ve got to think about what we can do to respond – is it more equipment, is it lower price? I don’t know"

In April this year, Porsche Cars Australia reduced the price of the Boxster to $101,500 (-$5500) and Boxster S to $126,500 (-$6800), while the 911 Carrera cabriolet moved to $228,900 (-$25,700) and the Carrera S cabriolet to $266,200 (-$21,600).

The Jaguar F-Type launched from A$139,000 for the 3.0-litre supercharged V6, A$171,400 for the V6 S and A$202,300 for the V8 S.

“We were comfortable with where we wound up,” Blakhall.

“We thought the car justified the price equation … but when the goalposts move, you’ve got to be a realist and say well we need to evaluate what that means for us.”

The managing director noted criticism of the F-Type’s extensive options list – with such normally standard items such as rain sensing wipers ($510) and dual-zone climate control ($980) – adding that making some options standard may be an alternative to a price reduction.

“They’re the sort of areas you’d evaluate. You’d also look at take rates, and say ‘what’s the take rate? Has it worked?’”

Blackhall maintained, however, that the F-Type has been a huge success for the local arm, with the first allocated batch of cars all sold-out.

“I’m not rushing [to change pricing], but I am evaluating.

“I’m being a bit pre-emptive here because the team has just written that paper, and I’ve got it and I haven’t read it yet…

“It’s an evaluation of what our competitive position is, and we need to digest that and understand what we should do”.

from

http://www.caradvice.com.au/257275/jaguar-f-type-porsche-forces-local-pricing-evaluation/

in the Sydney morning Herald Blackhalll said:

"We are evaluating what to do with F-Type in the market place at the moment," Jaguar Land Rover Asia Pacific boss, David Blackhall, told Drive during the launch of the all-new Range Rover Sport in Tasmania.

It says early demand for the car has exceeded it expectations with the initial shipment of vehicles already sold out, and has doubled its next order to meet further demand.

But it recognises that it may need to adjust the pricing and/or specification levels by including some of the long list of optional extras as standard equipment to compete on more even ground. None get a reversing camera or dual-zone air-conditioning as standard, for example, while things like heated seats and rain-sensing wipers also cost extra.

Blackhall has called on Jaguar to draft a review of the F-Type's position and is due to make a call on any future adjustments soon, although he admits any such move is unlikely to happen until 2014.

"We thought the car justified its price and performance but the goal posts were moved," Blackhall added.

"We're not resting but I am evaluating it at the moment."

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/jaguar-set-to-cut-ftype-pricing-20131029-2wcka.html

#3 ·
FYI
Jags response to me was a retraction, saying:

"This email is in response to inaccuracies in the article and to confirm Jaguar Australia are not in the process of repricing F-TYPE at either variant nor specification level. ..."

However I contacted one of the two independent journalists and he was adamant that there were no "inaccuracies"...

and right now there's 38 cars for sale online in Australia....

You wouldn't want to be the last person to pay full price would you?.. take the gloss of your new car faster than acid...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.