Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

Ground Clearance

13K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Paulfcdx 
#1 ·
I asked Jag and was given 130mm but these come from the Aus Specs and pricelist JLM/37/43/12/0413, haven't seen them anywhere else

Ground clearance in mm -------V6 108mm-------V6S 108mm-------V8S 121mm

converts to

Ground clearance in inches-------V6 4.25" -------V6S 4.25"-------V8S 4.76"

thats a lot lower than my wife's C70 at 139mm / 5.5 inches...

#5 ·
Paulfcdx said:
I asked Jag and was given 130mm but these come from the Aus Specs and pricelist JLM/37/43/12/0413, haven't seen them anywhere else

Ground clearance in mm -------V6 108mm-------V6S 108mm-------V8S 121mm

converts to

Ground clearance in inches-------V6 4.25" -------V6S 4.25"-------V8S 4.76"

thats a lot lower than my wife's C70 at 139mm / 5.5 inches...
Paul; Is this the measurement between the air dam and the ground?

#7 ·
I don't know, the specification doesn't say, just nominates the measurement. I recall the rep saying it was from the lowest point and he thought that was at a point on the suspension.

I asked my rep to bring a car to me and drive it down my drive to ensure that it did not scrape, a practical test beats a spec any day... because its not just ride height but also ramp angle and overhang that play here.

Wikipedia says "Ride height (also called ground clearance or simply clearance) is the amount of space between the base of an automobile tire and the underside of the chassis; or, more properly, to the shortest distance between a flat, level surface, and any part of a vehicle other than those parts designed to contact the ground (such as tires, tracks, skis, etc.). Ground clearance is measured with standard vehicle equipment, and for cars, is usually given with no cargo or passengers."

Interesting its higher in the f-type than the XKR which comes in at 100mm

However scraping is not just a function of ground clearance, the cars overhang also comes into play because as you approach a ramp etc the road surface is rising to meet the car before the wheel hits the ramp and starts to raise the nose.

And distance between the wheels also has an effect as you travel over a point where the road changes to a steeper incline that break point will rise up to meet the car, ie the front wheel is dropping and the rear wheel has stayed on the original level.

see

http://heat-armor.com/ramps/index.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.