Engine Stop / Start - Jaguar F-Type Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Engine Stop / Start

WRT to the ECO stop/start I find this feature annoying so does my wife. We both invariably push the ECO button (near the F-Type Gear Shifter) and turn the squirrely feature off every time we start the car up.

Sure wish I knew how to permanently set it off as a default.

My experiences:

1. when the car is cold the stop/start is a bit rough. Even when warm half the time it is "smooth" half the time it "hesitates a bit" when releasing the brake to start forward again.

2. it feels unsafe although I could get eventually used to it

3. it seems like so many stop/start cycles will wear out the engine or other systems faster than just idling. IMHO it might be more expensive in maintenance in the long run over the gas it saves.

4. the system doesn't seem work right (or as expected).

The last item 4. is the real issue sometimes it doesn't work right (oh it always stops), sometimes it just restarts after 30 sec. or 60 sec. or 90 sec. when stopped at a light. Maybe I move the wheel or adjust the brake or the car thinks the stereo is draining the battery too fast - regardless it is annoying doesn't seem to work right.

In the same vein there is a massive frustration of just trying to listen to music when the car is parked. Maybe I am stupid here but there doesn't seem to be an accessory mode to just use the cars electronics - you seem to have to start the car. Please tell me I'm wrong here - anybody out there that can tell me I just need to read the manual page ##

Here is an example I go to my daughters school to pick her up I park in a line of cars to wait for 10 to 15 minutes before she gets out. Now I have this great stereo I want to listen to some music - who wouldn't? But the question is how do I do that ?

My experiences just trying to play music when parked:

A) If ECO stop/start is on I pull up and park the car the engine "stops" I enjoy my music then about 90 seconds later the engine just starts like there is a ghost in my car.

B) If ECO stop/start is off I pull up park the car hit the off button my music stops (and BTW even worse my blue-tooth drops in the middle of a call if I am on the cell phone). But I can't play music unless I start the car up.

C) So I just leave the car running and that my freinds seems to defeat the entire purpose of the ECO stop/start. So in the one case were I "need" stop/start (assuming there is no accessory mode to just use the cars electronics) it doesn't work.
post #2 of 21 Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

RE: Engine Stop / Start

Jerry; If I understand what you have said... It seems like a switchable mode for eco-stop is needed, or at least a means to change the default setting. As you suggest adding thousands of car start cycles to a starter is bound to decrease its life span. I can't imagine this repeated on / off sequencing helps the engine / turbo either.

post #3 of 21 Old 07-03-2013, 02:45 AM

Try turning off A/C to get rid of the "ghost" restart. Worked for me.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryJag
WRT to the ECO stop/start I find this feature annoying so does my wife. We both invariably push the ECO button (near the F-Type Gear Shifter) and turn the squirrely feature off every time we start the car up.

Sure wish I knew how to permanently set it off as a default.

My experiences:

1. when the car is cold the stop/start is a bit rough. Even when warm half the time it is "smooth" half the time it "hesitates a bit" when releasing the brake to start forward again.

2. it feels unsafe although I could get eventually used to it

3. it seems like so many stop/start cycles will wear out the engine or other systems faster than just idling. IMHO it might be more expensive in maintenance in the long run over the gas it saves.

4. the system doesn't seem work right (or as expected).

The last item 4. is the real issue sometimes it doesn't work right (oh it always stops), sometimes it just restarts after 30 sec. or 60 sec. or 90 sec. when stopped at a light. Maybe I move the wheel or adjust the brake or the car thinks the stereo is draining the battery too fast - regardless it is annoying doesn't seem to work right.

In the same vein there is a massive frustration of just trying to listen to music when the car is parked. Maybe I am stupid here but there doesn't seem to be an accessory mode to just use the cars electronics - you seem to have to start the car. Please tell me I'm wrong here - anybody out there that can tell me I just need to read the manual page ##

Here is an example I go to my daughters school to pick her up I park in a line of cars to wait for 10 to 15 minutes before she gets out. Now I have this great stereo I want to listen to some music - who wouldn't? But the question is how do I do that ?

My experiences just trying to play music when parked:

A) If ECO stop/start is on I pull up and park the car the engine "stops" I enjoy my music then about 90 seconds later the engine just starts like there is a ghost in my car.

B) If ECO stop/start is off I pull up park the car hit the off button my music stops (and BTW even worse my blue-tooth drops in the middle of a call if I am on the cell phone). But I can't play music unless I start the car up.

C) So I just leave the car running and that my freinds seems to defeat the entire purpose of the ECO stop/start. So in the one case were I "need" stop/start (assuming there is no accessory mode to just use the cars electronics) it doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 AM
DJS

As I mentioned elsewhere, pushing the start button with your foot NOT on the brake turns on the accessories, but only for 5 minutes or so.

What I can't figure out is shutting the engine off. Sometimes, I come to a stop, and put the transmission in park, and it shuts off the engine and the accessories. Sometime I have to push start/stop to shut it off. Not obvious what the difference is.

I was sitting at a stoplight the other day, and decided to take off my jacket. I clicked the seatbelt, took off my jacket, clicked the seatbelt back in, and the light changed. Tried to go, and nothing. Finally realized it had shut off the engine, and I had to push the start button again. Unexpected.

Also, I think it's too bad the engine has to be running to raise/lower the roof. If I stop, put the transmission in P and it decides to shut down, then I have to start it again if I want to it the roof up.

Overall, I'm having a blast!

2014 Salsa Red F-type V6S
post #5 of 21 Old 07-04-2013, 03:13 PM

Hi All,

I have been directed to this thread by Chip.

I have read over the comments to see if there are any issues. For detailed information on when/how the stop start works there is a section in your hand book under "INTELLIGENT STOP/START".

In relation to the original comment "Even when warm half the time it is "smooth" half the time it "hesitates a bit" when releasing the brake to start forward again." This should not be happening and the transition from the engine cut off to driving should be smooth and unnoticeable. If this isn't the case then I recommend a trip to your dealership.

The section about playing music while parked all of the information you provided sounds like the vehicle is functioning as designed to do so.

If you have any further questions then I will be more then happy to help where possible.

Many Thanks

Mike
post #6 of 21 Old 07-04-2013, 03:56 PM

I suspect that even if "functioning as designed" there are going to be a LOT of requests to be able to change the default setting to ECO OFF.

One thing I find odd is that as currently configured, when you pull into a parking space, stop and then put the car in Park, it turns the car off completely. Before opening the doors or anything, you don't have any electricity to put the windows up and have to restart the car to do so.

Some of these things would be nice adjustments to the firmware running the car. I know they can do this. Amongst other things, mine is getting an error on the TPWS which I am told is the subject of a service advisory and will be fixed with a software upgrade in a few weeks.

ECO mode as configured is too intrusive. I like the concept, and I mine works completely smoothly and seamlessly at stoplights, but some of these things (especially parking) need to be user selectable or made more "normal."

As long as we are talking software changes, I would also like to be able to turn on the power to the car to listen to the radio without running the engine for longer than two minutes before it shuts off!!!

Thanks for considering these things and reporting them to Jaguar.

Absolutely love the car. Compared to my 2010 XK-R it is so smooth, responsive and solid it feels like it just goes where your brain wants it to. And I loved the XK-R!

Best,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi All,

I have read over the comments to see if there are any issues. For detailed information on when/how the stop start works there is a section in your hand book under "INTELLIGENT STOP/START".

In relation to the original comment "Even when warm half the time it is "smooth" half the time it "hesitates a bit" when releasing the brake to start forward again." This should not be happening and the transition from the engine cut off to driving should be smooth and unnoticeable. If this isn't the case then I recommend a trip to your dealership.

The section about playing music while parked all of the information you provided sounds like the vehicle is functioning as designed to do so.

If you have any further questions then I will be more then happy to help where possible.

Many Thanks

Mike
post #7 of 21 Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mike!

post #8 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Hello,

I have just had a flick through the handbook and it appears that if you park up and select "park" the vehicle should remaining running until you press "stop/start" which is when the vehicle will shut off.

Unfortunately the ignition is set up to turn off after a short period of time to save the battery from dying. This is to ensure there is enough power in the battery to re start the engine when necessary.

Thank you for your comments and I will be sure to pass these onto our engineering and development teams.

Many Thanks

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Dave
I suspect that even if "functioning as designed" there are going to be a LOT of requests to be able to change the default setting to ECO OFF.

One thing I find odd is that as currently configured, when you pull into a parking space, stop and then put the car in Park, it turns the car off completely. Before opening the doors or anything, you don't have any electricity to put the windows up and have to restart the car to do so.

Some of these things would be nice adjustments to the firmware running the car. I know they can do this. Amongst other things, mine is getting an error on the TPWS which I am told is the subject of a service advisory and will be fixed with a software upgrade in a few weeks.

ECO mode as configured is too intrusive. I like the concept, and I mine works completely smoothly and seamlessly at stoplights, but some of these things (especially parking) need to be user selectable or made more "normal."

As long as we are talking software changes, I would also like to be able to turn on the power to the car to listen to the radio without running the engine for longer than two minutes before it shuts off!!!

Absolutely love the car. Compared to my 2010 XK-R it is so smooth, responsive and solid it feels like it just goes where your brain wants it to. And I loved the XK-R!

Best,
Dave

Quote:
Hi All,

Many Thanks

Mike
post #9 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 05:18 PM

Mike:

Thanks for taking an interest and sending our feedback to the right people! I think we all really appreciate it!

1) Yesterday it did appear I had some juice to put the windows back up after stopping in eco. Still playing with it.

2) I haven't ever owned a car in which the battery would go dead in a minute! Seems that a better choice would be to monitor battery strength and only shut down at a certain point or give a warning. Silly not to have an "accessories" mode like every car I have ever owned! Or again, everything now being configurable by software, let the end user pick a time duration from a menu.

No question that I would prefer the option to have the default be ECO OFF and only select it to be on when I choose!

Dave
PS Despite all the negative feedback on the trunk I had no problem hauling the full 4th of July BBQ food shopping trip in the trunk and I personally really like the deep well which is perfect for keeping my briefcase with computer from flying around the trunk!

Quote:
Hello,

I have just had a flick through the handbook and it appears that if you park up and select "park" the vehicle should remaining running until you press "stop/start" which is when the vehicle will shut off.

Unfortunately the ignition is set up to turn off after a short period of time to save the battery from dying. This is to ensure there is enough power in the battery to re start the engine when necessary.

Thank you for your comments and I will be sure to pass these onto our engineering and development teams.

Many Thanks

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Dave

Best,
Dave

Quote:
Hi All,

Many Thanks

Mike
post #10 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
DJS

Thanks for the info, Mike. What I find puzzling is that it isn't consistent. Most of the time, the ignition stays on until I push the stop button. But yesterday, I pulled into a rest area, pushed 'P', and starting raising the roof. It shut off the ignition with the roof halfway up, so I had the start the engine again to finish it!

Would be really, really nice if you could raise or lower the roof without having the start the engine, with just the ignition (accessory) on.

Also, I made the mistake of taking my jacket off while sitting at a traffic light. Undid my seatbelt, and took my jacket off. Noticed the transmission was in 'N', so I'm guessing it switched there automatically when I took my seatbelt off? Took me a moment to realize it had then turned off the ignition and I had to restart it. Happily, the cars behind me were patient.

On the topic of the trunk, I've managed to get 2 smaller golf carry/stand bags in the trunk. But there is certainly a limit on the size and shape of things you can carry.

2014 Salsa Red F-type V6S

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode