Roof Stuck - Page 2 - Jaguar F-Type Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

RE: Roof Stuck

This does not bode well for the rapid deployment of any needed part for this new platform. I would want to think that the Jag team would want to do an autopsy on the failed part to see if additional action is required for the rest of the sold F-Type fleet.

post #12 of 41 Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Chip,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip
This does not bode well for the rapid deployment of any needed part for this new platform.
I have to admit now that's its been a full six days going on seven, I am a bit disappointed - no ETA on the part(s) to replace my faulty convertible top motor(s) - and worse yet absolutely no update from my Jaguar service rep.

Tomorrow if things are still a vacuum I will go to a different dealership and see if they can provide better service.
post #13 of 41 Old 07-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Not good! Maybe Mike can help you find someone that will be able to give you an update?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

My part finally came in today, dropped the car off at the shop for another two days, still would have been nice to get an ETA - but the dealer said the part "just showed up" and they themselves never got and update.

On another note, they gave me an a low millage (200 miles) XF as a loaner car while my car is in the shop - let me tell you it is a big let down to drive this after the F-Type - unfortunately the XF reminds me a bit of those vinyl Mercedes Benz taxis you find in Europe yet it has leather seats [?] (note, I love the XJ portfolio's and XJL portfolio's). IMHO something seems really lacking in the XF and if Jagaur wants to capture this segment it sorely needs and interior face-lift for the XF.
post #15 of 41 Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Good news! Will you be told what the problem was with the old part?

post #16 of 41 Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Chip, first they ohm'd out every connection - all ok. Then removed the motor applied juice (power) stand alone and it was bricked. Don't really think Jaguar wants the old part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip
Good news! Will you be told what the problem was with the old part?
Next after one (1) day in the XF loaner I have to say my F-Type seems so underpriced I'm not ony happy again I'm downright ecstatic I own this car. If Jaguar doesn't improve the loaner pool IMHO there might be some suicides in the future.

And a silver lining - apparently my rear speaker (subwoofer) was punctured and that got replaced - and I do notice the difference.
post #17 of 41 Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryJag
... Don't really think Jaguar wants the old part...
Failure analysis is a big deal in the manufacturing world today. It is essential that manufacturers understand why parts fail, and if a part supplier is not producing a quality part up to the established design specifications. I bet they are interested, or at least should be. Even more so if your issue has shown up on other cars. Glad to hear they got you squared away!

post #18 of 41 Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Chip you were spot on, Jaguar really should have asked for the part as my roof failed a second time.

I picked up my car on July 23 in the afternoon when my service rep said it was all done, and then my convertible top failed again on the July 26 with the same issue.

In the three days since it was repaired I only put the roof up and down no more than eight (8) times and then it failed again the same way. So obviously the local service guys don't seem to have found the actual root cause because it seems like the car seems to fry $625 motors like they are cheap disposable BIC razors.

IMHO maybe Jaguar needs to really take a hard look at this one and do some postmortem analysis on this convertible top issue. If there are known problems in the UK with the electrical system and the convertible top it sure would be nice if my servicing Jaguar dealer was made aware of them as I don't want to take my care to the shop every 3 days.

So it's back at the shop at 7:00 am sharp Monday July 29th in the first available service slot. Not looking forward to a week long stint in a lowly Jaguar XF loaner because my F-Type is so awesome when it works and it really does spoil me.
post #19 of 41 Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Gerry; Man...I am sorry to hear this! Let me ask you, does the top just quit working, and / or are there other things like fuses blowing as well? When the motor quits is it after an opening or closing cycle, or is it mid-cycle? I guess it could be anywhere in the operational range of the top as well? What sort of support have you received from "Tech. Support" @ Jaguar? All this begs another question: Is your problem a one of a kind issue, or is it a problem that will surface with other owners cars? Good luck and keep us posted.

As a side note I had to laugh at your comment "Seems like the car seems to fry $625 motors like they are cheap disposable BIC razors." I know at this point it is not real funny to you, but I guess it is good to have a sense of humor when dealing with such things. I hope they come up with a real fix for your car soon!

post #20 of 41 Old 07-28-2013, 12:42 AM

This is what happens when you purchase a car on the 1st year production, perhaps we all should it waited a little untill all the bugs were fix. This is my 1st Jag and this issues are alarming, coming over from Mercedez, Audi and BMW were there service is fast and precise. Maybe I'm just spoiled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode