Intelligent stop/start system Trick - Jaguar F-Type Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Intelligent stop/start system Trick

I now have had my F-Type for a couple of weeks and I have discovered a trick that I think makes the Stop/Start system more useful!

Whenever the system is on and I am coming to a stop, I can control if the system is going to shut off the engine or not by just letting up on the brake before I come to a COMPLETE stop. For example, if am stopping to cross a road and don't want the stop/start system to stop the engine, I let up, a little, on the brake as I stop. But if I am stopping for a red light, I keep constant pressure on the brake pedal until just before the light turns green and then I let up a little so the engine restarts before I can move. If you time it right, it almost as not having a stop/start system and therefore far less intrusive.
post #2 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

RE: Intelligent stop/start system Trick

You have to wonder how the starter will hold up over time in cars with this feature?

post #3 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

No, I don't since it doesn't use the normal starter but I believe the alternator is used as a starter motor. That means that there is no gears to mesh with the freewheel. Since the alternator/starter is design to start the car thousands of times more than a normal starter motor, I understand it will last a very long time. NOTE: You might notice that when you first start the car it sound different than when the stop/start system restarts the car. Also the stop/start only works when the engine can be restarted easily, never when its cold or too hot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 PM
DJS

Also, once the system has stopped and restarted the system, it won't shut it off again until you get over 5mph and then come to a stop. That way, it isn't starting and stopping all the time if you're creeping along in traffic.

I generally end up switching to dynamic mode (which cancels ECO mode), because it's more fun, even for normal driving.

post #5 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesTopLess
No, I don't since it doesn't use the normal starter but I believe the alternator is used as a starter motor. That means that there is no gears to mesh with the freewheel. Since the alternator/starter is design to start the car thousands of times more than a normal starter motor, I understand it will last a very long time. NOTE: You might notice that when you first start the car it sound different than when the stop/start system restarts the car. Also the stop/start only works when the engine can be restarted easily, never when its cold or too hot!
The car starts via a drive belt? If so, that puts the wear on the alt. & accessory drive belt.

post #6 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

It is my understanding that, yes, the system does use the drive belt, it has been designed to hold up for some time.

All parts of the car will wear out over time, but that shouldn't keep us from using them. If we were worried about wearing out the car, we would never stop, since it wears the brakes or drive, since that wears almost everything in the car!

The purpose of the stop/start system is to allow use to enjoy this great car, while saving a little gas so it we don't look as bad to the people who think all cars should get 50 mpg and be boring! LOL
post #7 of 8 Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM
DJS

Presumably, the ECO system also allows the F-type to avoid the gas-guzzler tax.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS
Presumably, the ECO system also allows the F-type to avoid the gas-guzzler tax.
Yep, I think that's the reason. If we could default it off most of us would and they wouldn't get the rating they did. I just leave Dynamic on.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode