Two Batteries in your F-Type - Jaguar F-Type Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Two Batteries in your F-Type

Some of you folks might or might not know that there are two batteries located in the trunk of your F-Type. On the left side is what I will call your standard looking battery that runs all the electronics of your vehicle. On the right side of your trunk, and hidden under the deck covers is a very small 5 1/2 pound Lithium-Ion battery. This is the battery that is used to start your vehicle. I have attached a picture of this unit above. If you travel a lot and are worried about these batteries staying charged, I have good news for you. The battery terminal posts located on the passenger side of your engine gives you the opportunity to charge both batteries with a single, low current, SMART CHARGER. A $25.00, 2.5 amp charger works very well under these circumstances. Warning, never try to charge or jump start your F-Type directly from the batteries. Hopefully some of this information is helpful for the owners manual is very vague about this subject. Pascha
post #2 of 19 Old 09-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

RE: Two Batteries in your F-Type

Good info. to know! Thanks for posting it up Pascha.

post #3 of 19 Old 10-02-2013, 02:45 PM
DJS

This leads to the question of the right way to install a trickle charger, for winter storage. Someone has posted pictures of the dealer installation of the Jaguar charger, connecting it straight to the battery. (That's the way I was planning to install one.) But should it be connected to the jump points in the front instead?

Mike, don't know if you're following this, but might be a good question for Jaguar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-02-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS
This leads to the question of the right way to install a trickle charger, for winter storage. Someone has posted pictures of the dealer installation of the Jaguar charger, connecting it straight to the battery. (That's the way I was planning to install one.) But should it be connected to the jump points in the front instead?

Mike, don't know if you're following this, but might be a good question for Jaguar.
Very good question. If you connect a smart charger to one battery, say the large one in the left rear, how is the other one, your starting battery going to get charged? It won't. If you connect to the terminals in the engine compartment, both batteries will get charged. I ran a test on this by using a higher then normal voltage and I did see it on both batteries. We have many vehicles with 2 battery systems, in which some are in storage. We too are very sensitive about the status of Batteries especially the one used for starting. I would like to take of survey of how many Jaguar dealers even know how many batteries are in the F-Type. I would also like to see an official response from Jaguar. Pascha
post #5 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Hi All,

Just so I fully understand the question being asked (to make sure I do not come back with unhelpful information) you just want to know how you would jump start/charge the battery if it were to die?

Many Thanks

Mike
post #6 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi All,

Just so I fully understand the question being asked (to make sure I do not come back with unhelpful information) you just want to know how you would jump start/charge the battery if it were to die?

Many Thanks

Mike
Hello ,

I already know that it's important to charge the main battery with the negative pole
to the chassis and the positive pole to the main battery positive terminal . This
prevents the battery management system (BMS) located between the battery negative terminal and
the chassis to be confused about the charging condition of the main battery.
So charging the main battery with an external charger will work but what is about the small
supplemental battery ? As far as I know the charging of this small battery is managed by a
so called gateway module (GWM). This module controls circuit breakers in the dual battery
junction box to connect or isolate the small battery from the main circuit.
But does this module work when ignition is off ? If the small battery is isolated from the
main circuit during "ignition off" no charging will be possible and the
small battery will die during a longer period of storage of the car .
Maybe you can give more detailed information about this .

Many Thanks

Ulrich
post #7 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM

Hello,

I will find out for you then let you know.

Many Thanks

Mike
post #8 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Hello,

I have just spoken with our technical team and they advise there is no reason to charge this battery manually. They said that it is isolated from the power circuits when not in use. However if you wish to charge the battery you can do so as per normal procedure.

Hope this helps.

Mike
post #9 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 PM
DJS

Hi Mike,
Thanks for you response. Just to clarify - I'm planning to install a trickle charger to keep the battery charged while I store the car for the winter. Does it matter if that's connected right to the main battery in the trunk, or to the jump point under the hood?

Thanks.

post #10 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Hi DJS,

Just to make sure I advise you correctly and to make sure its the same in the US as it is in the UK I am going to speak with my colleagues in the US and get them to email you (I already have your email address from previous conversations).

Many Thanks

Mike

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode