Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 've never driven a car (sports or otherwise) that used a paddle activated automatic transmission. I would be interested in your impressions as you get used to your new Type-F. How do you use it, and how does it work in the "Sports" mode? I think I saw a review that indicated that in the "Sport" mode it will not shift on its own and will run the car up to the rev. limiter if the driver does not intercede. Is this correct? I think an auto. tranny that behaves like a manual sound like fun. What are your thoughts, and how difficult is the learning curve to master for using it to drive in a "spirited manner;)"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have had the paddles in several other a/t cars. In my tests of an F-type V8s and V6S, the paddles worked very well. Quick and seemed well suited to the drivetrain. Better than in my prior Cayanne Turbo and SL65. Still prefer the DCT type units with paddles. Even better....true manual tranny.

Chip said:
I 've never driven a car (sports or otherwise) that used a paddle activated automatic transmission. I would be interested in your impressions as you get used to your new Type-F. How do you use it, and how does it work in the "Sports" mode? I think I saw a review that indicated that in the "Sport" mode it will not shift on its own and will run the car up to the rev. limiter if the driver does not intercede. Is this correct? I think an auto. tranny that behaves like a manual sound like fun. What are your thoughts, and how difficult is the learning curve to master for using it to drive in a "spirited manner;)"?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stu; How much better is a dual clutch auto-tranny than what is found in the Jag? If you would, please describe the differences. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chip, the twin clutch unit is designed more for those who typically want to use the paddles or shifter to control the gears. It's essentially a manual tranny without a clutch peddle. Without a torque converter it is a bit more abrupt and noticeable as you change gears, but more fun too. It's quick and most are adjustable in 3-7 settings. To me it's the best of both worlds. Shift it as you like, in manual mode or it can be operated in fully auto mode and the newer units handle that mode fairly well. (ie. smoothly, but not as smooth as a full a/t.) I've driven the F-type and the paddle shifter full automatic seems well suited to the paddles. Smoother than a dual clutch, but responsive at all levels.

Chip said:
Stu; How much better is a dual clutch auto-tranny than what is found in the Jag? If you would, please describe the differences. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
According to a few journalist here in Australia the upshifts on the F-type are smooth and quick however the downshifts have been a bit slow and dissapointing .
Check out the price we pay for these cars here

http://www.caradvice.com.au/243870/jaguar-f-type-on-sale-from-138645/

Another review complaining about the slow transmission on downshifts , hopefully this can be rectified by a retune of the ECU

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/57032/jaguar-f-type-v6-v8-road-test-review

·
Registered
48 Posts
Spirit R said:
According to a few journalist here in Australia the upshifts on the F-type are smooth and quick however the downshifts have been a bit slow and dissapointing .

I can't believe those prices are so high! Is that price in US dollars?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tom45 said:
Spirit R said:

I can't believe those prices are so high! Is that price in US dollars?
Currently 1 Aussie Dollar equals 89 US cents so not a great deal different , yes our car prices are stupid .

The basic V6 IN Australia is $138,675 + on roads approx another $12,000 making it $150,675 ... Being $135,419 US

The V8 F -type is $202,000 + on road approx $23,000 making it $225,000 here being $202, 218.00 US

When it comes to owning a Nice car here in Australia we really get bent over lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chip said:
I have owned several paddle shifted cars. The F Type is one of the best once you get used to it and adjust the dynamic paramaters. If you put the trans in sport mode and let it shift for you the upshifts are great but the down shifts are a bit slow. You can of course just use the paddles and in my opinion they work very well. I have a CTS-V modified to 670BHP with tuned engine and transmission and the paddles are very slow on the down shift (lots of lag). I like the Jag much better but then its a sports car not a sedan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts