Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In the constant challenge of reducing the weight of modern vehicles, the materials used today are a lot more flammable than cars in the past. Aluminum and plastics have a very low melting point which the photo above shows. That F-Type was consumed by fire a few months ago in Belgium. Note that even the Aluminum body of that car was melted away. The melting point of Aluminum is about 1220F/660C degrees, or about the same temperature of a good Pizza oven.
You might be asking where I am going with this, well, I want my fellow F-Type drivers to be safe especially with a Lithium-Ion battery on board. I looked very carefully where I could put a fire extinguisher in our F-Type which became a challenge. Not much free room in the interior, no room whatsoever in the engine compartment, so into the trunk it went. Safety items now in the trunk well: air compressor, fire extinguisher and a first aid kit.

Enjoy these wonderful machines and be safe. Yes, the word extinguisher is not spelled correctly in the above photo. Too late to change.... Pascha

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's a good tip. I have one in my other car, but haven't put on in the Jag yet. I'm always concerned about the temperature rating on these - the First Alert automotive extinguisher is rated up to 120F, which is pretty easy to hit in the trunk.

I have a Kidde disposable automotive extinguisher in my other car. I see that Kidde doesn't specify a max storage temperature, at least not one that I could locate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DJS said:
That's a good tip. I have one in my other car, but haven't put on in the Jag yet. I'm always concerned about the temperature rating on these - the First Alert automotive extinguisher is rated up to 120F, which is pretty easy to hit in the trunk.

I have a Kidde disposable automotive extinguisher in my other car. I see that Kidde doesn't specify a max storage temperature, at least not one that I could locate.
I have not found an extinguisher that has a storage temp higher then 120F either. As long as that meter is in the green, the internal pressure should be just fine. We are hot down here in South Florida all year and so far all extinguishers are staying in the green... Pascha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts