Jaguar F-Type Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I currently drive a 2015 Porsche Boxster S. I'm toying with the idea of switching to the Jag F-Type R (V8) but haven't drove one nor rode in one yet (only watched youtubes). I know the Jag is a little bigger and that's ok, having a little more room in the cabin would be good. Any advice or recommendations would be great. Model year differences? I read on here about exhaust was toned down in later models? don't know if that's true or not. I'm an old guy (60) and I love the Porsche but I'm looking for something that leans more towards a road car than a race car. I live in the South Jersey area and would be willing to meet up with someone, find a back road, switch cars or just look.

Thanks
Ed
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2015 Boxster GTS and recently picked up a 2021 F Type R.

As always the reasons are complicated.

The GTS is an amazing car, both on road as well as track, and has an ability to smooth out bumpy British B roads and carve around corners that is very impressive. The handling is first class and the ability to flick from one corner to the next with that mid engine chassis is superb.

But, for me, it just lacks a little something. I have realised that I am more of a front engine roadster guy, and there is something about the Jag that just taps in to my emotions...ticking all the boxes in a way the Boxster doesn't. It handles almost as well as the Boxster at fast road speeds, soaks up bumps even more impressively, steers as accurately, is quieter on the motorways, and generally brightens my day when that V8 lump growls up front.

I had always been aware that no matter how brilliant the Boxster was it was missing something for me. I found that in the Jag.

Good luck in making your decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings. I currently drive a 2015 Porsche Boxster S. I'm toying with the idea of switching to the Jag F-Type R (V8) but haven't drove one nor rode in one yet (only watched youtubes). I know the Jag is a little bigger and that's ok, having a little more room in the cabin would be good. Any advice or recommendations would be great. Model year differences? I read on here about exhaust was toned down in later models? don't know if that's true or not. I'm an old guy (60) and I love the Porsche but I'm looking for something that leans more towards a road car than a race car. I live in the South Jersey area and would be willing to meet up with someone, find a back road, switch cars or just look.

Thanks
Ed
View attachment 655
Hi Ed, I had previously owned a 2006 Cayman S , followed by a 2011 Boxster S. The Cayman was great fun, and took to the track periodically over a 10 year period. I followed that with a low mileage pre-owned Boxster S, which I chose not to track, but to simply drive in nice weather, primarily with top down . Again a very nice car ( as you know), did everything well as most Porsches do!
Since the introduction of the Ftype, I was taken by the awesome looks and positive reviews I had read re. performance, sound, handling and fit/finish. I had noticed that that Jags seem to depreciate quite a bit quicker than Porsches, and ended up selling the Boxster S and buying a low mileage 2015 Ftype R Coupe from original owner in Fla. which I have now been driving here in the Boston area (not winter) for the past year. I will tell you that the Jag is an entirely different driving experience. More of a GT car rather than a “ Track “ car, the Ftype offers a visceral driving experience reminiscent of a 60’s muscle car with modern technology and comfort! Loads of low-end torque, very quick, extremely loud ( in sports mode) and quite comfortable. Also the unique looks and scarcity ( compared to the Porsche) really turns heads! The car is however significantly heavier than the mid/engine Porsche, and isn’t quite as nimble in hard cornering.
I’m an even older guy Ed, and was just ready for a different driving experience, which is certainly what I’ve gotten from the Ftype R. My recommendation is to drive one first before making the decision to change. Happy to meet up somewhere and switch cars for a drive at some point in warmer weather, right now the CAT is hibernating for the winter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts