Jaguar F-Type Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Now Im a young dude and Ive been saving for a sporty exotic car. In my time browsing and searching for my first car, I came across the F Type and it stole my heart. Now I get mixed reviews from the dealers and people I know who own one. Some say its great no or few issues with low maintenance costs and insurance costs to hoot. Some claim that they had issues every turn of the way. Being so young I can realistically only afford a 14 or 15 v6 S which is great. Just wondering if any one has advice and pros and cons and general info that would help me with my first car purchase.

·
Registered
2014 Salsa Red Type S
10 Posts
I own a 2014 V6S vert, and am over the moon. The car is drop dead gorgeous from whatever angle you look at it, and has enough performance to scare me. I’ve had one issue with an O2 sensor, fixed by Jaguar under an extended warranty. All that being said, your mileage may vary. I’d suggest an independent pre-purchase inspection. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. Now Im a young dude and Ive been saving for a sporty exotic car. In my time browsing and searching for my first car, I came across the F Type and it stole my heart. Now I get mixed reviews from the dealers and people I know who own one. Some say its great no or few issues with low maintenance costs and insurance costs to hoot. Some claim that they had issues every turn of the way. Being so young I can realistically only afford a 14 or 15 v6 S which is great. Just wondering if any one has advice and pros and cons and general info that would help me with my first car purchase.
Check into an extended warranty. For a Jaguar, it could be worth the cost. If you buy the car from a dealer, they may offer one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just like most things in life, if you take care of something, it will usually last. I have the "14" F-Type base with 14,000 miles on it. I pamper it like a baby. It's a summer occasional driver. Over my lifetime I have probably had 60 cars or more. Many were 60's muscle cars that caught my eye as a young man in the 1970's. Most of the cars were beat to H and I spent most of my time fixing them. They were driven hard by their previous owner(s) and sold when maintenance/repair got too frequent and expensive. Then, I came along like a young kid looking at a new toy in the store. Well, the same can hold true for the F-Type, but like all similar cars, Porsche, Audi, etc., they cost more to fix. My advice, don't fall in love with any car. Look at it objectively and do your research.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fell in love with the F-type when they first came out. Test drove a V8R at the dealer - OMG! But I didn't buy one back then. 5 years later, as a Senior I finally decided "I'm not getting any younger -- if not now, when?" I found a gently used (18K miles) 2016 base model up in the SF Bay Area (no snow, salt, rust issues), one owner, coming off a 3.5-yr lease; no accidents -- totally clean Carfax. I love driving it; has plenty of power (tho an S might be even better). Only had it into the dealer once for 2 minor issues -- totally covered by the 5-yr warranty. So in the 2.5 years I've owned it, my repair cost is ZERO. It's my daily driver; tho being retired, it doesn't go out every day. I'm totally pleased with the car and would buy another one sometime down the road. So do your homework, decide what you want and don't want. CarMax has quite a few on their website; that's where I bought mine (the 2 dealers in the county did not have any used F-types). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I fell in love with the F-type when they first came out. Test drove a V8R at the dealer - OMG! But I didn't buy one back then. 5 years later, as a Senior I finally decided "I'm not getting any younger -- if not now, when?" I found a gently used (18K miles) 2016 base model up in the SF Bay Area (no snow, salt, rust issues), one owner, coming off a 3.5-yr lease; no accidents -- totally clean Carfax. I love driving it; has plenty of power (tho an S might be even better). Only had it into the dealer once for 2 minor issues -- totally covered by the 5-yr warranty. So in the 2.5 years I've owned it, my repair cost is ZERO. It's my daily driver; tho being retired, it doesn't go out every day. I'm totally pleased with the car and would buy another one sometime down the road. So do your homework, decide what you want and don't want. CarMax has quite a few on their website; that's where I bought mine (the 2 dealers in the county did not have any used F-types). Hope this helps.
Helps very much thank you. My budget is limited but there's some really nice low milage ones out there. Glad this car is so reliable as long as your responsible with it and care for it. And would a leased car that a dealer is selling be a different like title or would it still be like a clean one, giving it's got jo accidents etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I can sat that I am proudly on my second F-type. My first was a 2015 convertible S, and it was SEXY and quick, and even more awesome was all the compliments I would get pulling up to a restaurant or just about anywhere! I purchased it "used" but from a private seller at a year old and only 3500 miles. It still had the tags in the racing seats. Ha! Anyway, it was a summer car for me as well, but in 6 years the only thing I paid for out of pocket was the O2 sensor.(2 actually.. one went and days later the other one needed replacement) but all told, it only set me back 800.00 out of pocket. Key thing is making sure you take it to someone who knows your car and that doesn't mean necessarily a dealer!!! While I am gonna miss her this summer, my upgrade is just waiting for the weather to break so I can bring her out! LOVE HER SOUND!! The sound system isn't good really on any of them, but who needs music when you have a sick exhaust!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts