Jaguar F-Type Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FT has developed the dreaded Low Battery Message. I've gotten it on occasion over the life of the car, but this time it is very strange. A couple of weeks ago I got in the car and had the message. On the very rare times that I've gotten it, a drive on the highway takes care it. This time it didn't. So I put the tender on it. After 24 hours or so, I still had the message. I drove it anyway about 2 miles through town and parked it for 30 minutes or so. When I got back in, no message. Drove it home. The next day I had the message. Put it on the tender for a couple of days. Still got the message. I figured that a new battery was in my near future - not surprising for an early 2014 with almost 50k on the clock.

I left it in the garage for a week without the tender and got in it today to move it. No message.

No electrical gremlins. Charging voltage is well above 14VDC and battery voltage with the engine off is well above 12VDC. The car starts and runs fine. The only thing that doesn't work (besides me) is the stop/start function which I assume is that the other battery has passed on the battery graveyard.

So, Oracles of the Internet, what say you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My FT has developed the dreaded Low Battery Message. I've gotten it on occasion over the life of the car, but this time it is very strange. A couple of weeks ago I got in the car and had the message. On the very rare times that I've gotten it, a drive on the highway takes care it. This time it didn't. So I put the tender on it. After 24 hours or so, I still had the message. I drove it anyway about 2 miles through town and parked it for 30 minutes or so. When I got back in, no message. Drove it home. The next day I had the message. Put it on the tender for a couple of days. Still got the message. I figured that a new battery was in my near future - not surprising for an early 2014 with almost 50k on the clock.

I left it in the garage for a week without the tender and got in it today to move it. No message.

No electrical gremlins. Charging voltage is well above 14VDC and battery voltage with the engine off is well above 12VDC. The car starts and runs fine. The only thing that doesn't work (besides me) is the stop/start function which I assume is that the other battery has passed on the battery graveyard.

Does the car tell you (or the app) when it has gone to sleep? When I leave mine sit for a period, I'll got a notice in the app that says no remote features are available because the car has gone to sleep. Is this an attempt for later models to avoid this issue I wonder?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the car tell you (or the app) when it has gone to sleep? When I leave mine sit for a period, I'll got a notice in the app that says no remote features are available because the car has gone to sleep. Is this an attempt for later models to avoid this issue I wonder?
Get a new battery! You are definitely overdue! I had the same maddening issue with my 2015 FT and that took care of it. No issue since. The larger “main battery” is a deep cycle starting battery and holds a charge for a very long time. On a side note, most of us hate the auto start feature anyway so maybe leave it’s smaller NiCad battery offline for the time being. :’) BTY - “the app” made its debut in 2016 so you and I are out of luck in that regard unfortunately. Old school for us. Lastly, always double lock the car when you leave it. ie wait for the beep. Only then is she in proper sleep mode. Hope this is helpful. Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are definitely correct about the auto stop/start. Be sure to keep it locked all of the time as this preserves the battery life. If it is under an extended warranty it should be covered. Mine was when I had the same problem. Good luck and best wishes.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I hope you got the "Low Battery" issue fixed. Some things I would look at as well. Battery tested, check slippage of your belt, and finally alternator. Battery replacement would be the last...that is very expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts