Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 F-Type R - Triple Black
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Purchased an 2021 F-Type R in Feb. and noticed knocking recently around 5000 miles. Only light that came on was the check engine amber that the manual says is an emissions sensor - not to worry have it checked when you can. Checked the computer for oil and it had one line red on min and said underfilled. I put in 3.5 quarts and I can still hear a slight knock, but its not as bad. Oil level still says underfilled. I'm concerned that the low oil or a low pressure light never came on and that the engine may be damaged. I have to assume this thing was not filled properly prior to sale, or that it is burning a bunch of oil. I have never smelled that or seen any oil on my garage floor so the burning idea seems unlikely. Really just looking for some guidance/thoughts, I am really concerned that the engine may need major work and I am obviously not happy with Jaguar. I have an appointment to put the car in for service on Monday but was hoping someone else may have some insight as to what happened as I don't know what to expect from Jag service. Kind of a ramble, sorry, just frustrated and somewhat sad as I really like the vehicle and now it seems tainted.
-Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flerkin, thats crazy! A new beast with what may be major issues so soon. I'm thinking your pump is not working but could be a serious lack of oil. Personally, I would've called them to come pick it up on a flat bed as oil levels that low could damage that performance engine easily then they want to put the cost on you...or a portion. I know it's not easy to locate 2 Jag dealerships in the same zip but I would've also taken it to another so you don't get the "Okie Doke" and end up with a bill. Please let us know what they found...I'm curious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chief,
Thanks, they have had it since Monday...no news yet. Unfortunately, the first sign of an issue was the engine knock and at that point I started putting oil in it. Damage was done without any warning. . When I called Jag about it they said bring it in on Monday (happened on Thursday) no advice or offer to put it on a truck so I didn't worry about it. Several guys in the know say I shouldn't accept the car back with the old engine rebuilt and that they should replace it. There is likely some serious damage if adding oil didn't fix it. I was pretty clear with Jaguar that was what I expected unless they could guarantee it was 100% up to spec (which would be difficult from what I understand). This is on them as far as I'm concerned, a brand new car should not have these issues unless someone/something messed up. Crossing fingers that I hear something soon and that Jag is going to be standup about it.

Question for you as I'm not an expert on this stuff.
You mentioned the pump...my thinking is that a pump issue wouldn't cause the low oil indication when the engine is turned off to get the oil level reading. Am I off on that?
In the end I had to put 5 quarts (allegedly only holds 7ish) of oil in to get it to register an OK oil level and drive it in to Jag.
-Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
It certainly seems like a major problem. I agree totally with Coop.
I certainly wish you all the best getting JLR to resolve this properly.

But, I do have a question - had you ever checked the oil level prior to having the CE light?
Part of the reason, I am curious is my own experience.
I first checked thel level at about 600 miles on my new 2021 R-dynamic P380.
It read OK and showed full on the "thermometer" display.
I next checked it a couple of weeks later after a long 250 mile drive.
It showed the level down 2-3 bars on the display. So I got a bit concerned.
I checked it again a few days later and the level showed down 1 bar.
At 2,000 miles now, the level is still down 1 bar.
So, is it normal for these engines to burn oil especially during the "break-in" period?
All measurements and the "break-in" were done according to the JLR procedures.
I am hoping this is not an "oil burner".
I have had a couple in the past and my old XJ6 (23K miles) used a quart every 1500 miles!!
Howvere, over the past fifteen years or so, none of my vehicles consumed any oil between changes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chief,
Thanks, they have had it since Monday...no news yet. Unfortunately, the first sign of an issue was the engine knock and at that point I started putting oil in it. Damage was done without any warning. . When I called Jag about it they said bring it in on Monday (happened on Thursday) no advice or offer to put it on a truck so I didn't worry about it. Several guys in the know say I shouldn't accept the car back with the old engine rebuilt and that they should replace it. There is likely some serious damage if adding oil didn't fix it. I was pretty clear with Jaguar that was what I expected unless they could guarantee it was 100% up to spec (which would be difficult from what I understand). This is on them as far as I'm concerned, a brand new car should not have these issues unless someone/something messed up. Crossing fingers that I hear something soon and that Jag is going to be standup about it.

Question for you as I'm not an expert on this stuff.
You mentioned the pump...my thinking is that a pump issue wouldn't cause the low oil indication when the engine is turned off to get the oil level reading. Am I off on that?
In the end I had to put 5 quarts (allegedly only holds 7ish) of oil in to get it to register an OK oil level and drive it in to Jag.
-Chris
Hey Flerkin, I don't think any of us are experts on this beast. I do some reading. I figured since you must run the engine for 10 minutes then cut it off to get an accurate reading that it must build up pressure...hence the pump (I could be wrong). Sounds like your oil is sitting in the pan and not making it to the engine...hence the low level indicator (again, I could be wrong). God I hope they don't fault you for putting more oil in the engine and overfilling. These guys can be tricky because of the price. What I would request is a new vehicle since your beast isn't that old. They will probably say no but don't stop at their first line of defense, most of the time they are doing what they are suppose to do, but I would stop at nothing short of the owner of that dealership. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. Once they are aware of the issue and it is obvious their team "screwed the pooch" on this one maybe they will honor your request. A new/rebuilt engine...be careful and request an extended warranty to cover EVERYTHING! Never been a fan of taking an engine out and putting another back in. It's just not done enough for a person to be good at it (my opinion). That is a performance engine, not a corolla. It requires more to set it right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No unfortunately, I did not check the oil prior to the knocking, that would probably have caught this before the damage was done. I was aware of the 10K first service interval, but beyond that it never crossed my mind as since it was only 3 months off the Jag lot. If that was something I should have been doing, Jag should have told me that when I wrote them the $110K+ check. If they had told me that, I probably wouldn't have bought it as no BMW, Audi, Ford or Chevy I have owned required checking the oil level it to ensure it ran properly before the first service interval.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It certainly seems like a major problem. I agree totally with Coop.
I certainly wish you all the best getting JLR to resolve this properly.

But, I do have a question - had you ever checked the oil level prior to having the CE light?
Part of the reason, I am curious is my own experience.
I first checked thel level at about 600 miles on my new 2021 R-dynamic P380.
It read OK and showed full on the "thermometer" display.
I next checked it a couple of weeks later after a long 250 mile drive.
It showed the level down 2-3 bars on the display. So I got a bit concerned.
I checked it again a few days later and the level showed down 1 bar.
At 2,000 miles now, the level is still down 1 bar.
So, is it normal for these engines to burn oil especially during the "break-in" period?
All measurements and the "break-in" were done according to the JLR procedures.
I am hoping this is not an "oil burner".
I have had a couple in the past and my old XJ6 (23K miles) used a quart every 1500 miles!!
Howvere, over the past fifteen years or so, none of my vehicles consumed any oil between changes.
A 2021 should never be an "oil burner" but if it is...RUN! Break in periods should be about getting the car in sync. Yes it may use a touch of oil but remember when you bought it isn't the first time that car was tested. Sounds like you're a bit nervous about this one. Unless you are certain, go to the dlr and tell them about your experience. If nothing else their customer service dept should check it out, then give you a reciept that says they checked it out and all ok. Now you have a papertrail. These beast cost way to much money to be guessing about issues. I don't guess on my 2020 Nissan Versa so why should I guess on my beast? Use the experts for what they are there for and hope for the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Flerkin, I don't think any of us are experts on this beast. I do some reading. I figured since you must run the engine for 10 minutes then cut it off to get an accurate reading that it must build up pressure...hence the pump (I could be wrong). Sounds like your oil is sitting in the pan and not making it to the engine...hence the low level indicator (again, I could be wrong). God I hope they don't fault you for putting more oil in the engine and overfilling. These guys can be tricky because of the price. What I would request is a new vehicle since your beast isn't that old. They will probably say no but don't stop at their first line of defense, most of the time they are doing what they are suppose to do, but I would stop at nothing short of the owner of that dealership. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. Once they are aware of the issue and it is obvious their team "screwed the pooch" on this one maybe they will honor your request. A new/rebuilt engine...be careful and request an extended warranty to cover EVERYTHING! Never been a fan of taking an engine out and putting another back in. It's just not done enough for a person to be good at it (my opinion). That is a performance engine, not a corolla. It requires more to set it right.
That's great advice on the car vs. engine replacement. I really appreciate the feedback. I was attempting to follow what the manual said when I did the oil fill up ( I even took video of the last couple of quart adds and computer responses so I think I am covered). But like you said dealership to dealership it can be a nightmare in terms of service and willingness to do the right thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck Flerkin. Please keep us informed as to the outcome.
Thanks appreciate all the thoughts and well wishes...will keep you posted. Love the car, hopefully Jag takes care of this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just talked to the dealership, he said they found metal shavings in the oil pan and would need to replace the engine. They are in the process of getting that approved through Jaguar. Said it would be 2 - 4 weeks before I will get it back. Don't have an answer as to what happened yet...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just talked to the dealership, he said they found metal shavings in the oil pan and would need to replace the engine. They are in the process of getting that approved through Jaguar. Said it would be 2 - 4 weeks before I will get it back. Don't have an answer as to what happened yet...
Well hopefully they will give you a loaner until they have completed the changeover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well hopefully they will give you a loaner until they have completed the changeover.
Yes, I have an F-pace for the duration, so far so good for Jaguar in terms of doing the right thing.
PS - Nice R in you logo...looks like we have the same taste in cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I have an F-pace for the duration, so far so good for Jaguar in terms of doing the right thing.
PS - Nice R in you logo...looks like we have the same taste in cars. Although now that I look closely at it...Is that a dark blue or black?

·
Registered
36 Posts
So presumably the oil was never filled to the correct level?
Or did it just burn a few quarts in 5,000 miles??
Enquiring minds need to know!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine is blue with green specks. Beautiful Beast. I try to be good in it, but the Hulk comes out when you least expect it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They "screwed the pooch" on that one. Someone forgot to fill it. That's what it sounds like.
Agree and I'm going to push for an answer, but the world may never know. The service rep wasn't sure if Jag would ask the dealership to break it down and figure it out or if they would have it sent away to take a look. I doubt they will admit to not filling the oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts