Jaguar F-Type Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
what about Purrfect...
:)
Chip said:
GirlsLoveCarsToo said:
I bought the V8 S on Saturday. Man, she's a beast! Trying to find a good name for her.
What about Kat? :D
[hr]
what about Purrfect...
Chip said:
GirlsLoveCarsToo said:
I bought the V8 S on Saturday. Man, she's a beast! Trying to find a good name for her.
[hr]
what about Purrfect...
Chip said:
GirlsLoveCarsToo said:

· Registered
45 Posts
I don't get my car (V6S) for 2 weeks and have been sweating that I have bought a very expensive car that I have never driven. I did that with a 3.0l TDI diesel Audi Q5 and while I love it (my wife doesn't) hindsight says it could have been better, the 1/2 second delay when you hit the accelerator can be "interesting" crossing oncoming traffic and don't consider a reverse park on a steep hill...

So for the jag... which cracks $210k fully optioned in Australia (that's the V6S) with some trepidation I took my wife for a drive in one last week and it was much better than I hoped... my focus wasn't on performance, others have amply covered that, but this will be a daily drive and I wanted to see it in that light.

I feared an over abundance of grunt and a lack of subtlety a la Nissan GTR, that would cause my better half to bitch, since she finds the Q5 less than subtle (it is) and the neighbours to take up a petition re the noise but the jag was all power and grace.. Turn off dynamic mode, shut down the exhaust by pass and it's suitable for a run to the shops without frightening the oldies and easy and tractable to drive without a CAMS license. Easy to drive, if you want to drive easy.

We had the top down most of the time, but rear and rear quarter visibility will be an issue with it up so I added all possible driver aids, but that's not a Jag issue alone.. If they save my bacon once they will have paid for themselves.

But put the foot down and 6500 rpm comes up real fast, with this glorious BLATTT!!! coming on each up shift. My mate felt the steering was less responsive than his 911, indeed felt lighter and less direct than the Q5 when tuned up, but I have optioned up configurable dynamics so will wait to see how that turns out. Even so, not something I'd complain about. and around town it was not so direct as to cause problems of oversteering.

I wondered if I should have optioned up to the high performance discs that are std on the V8 but again the Q5 is over endowed with 380mm front and 365mm rear and I didn't want to repeat that experience. ( at 100kph Q5 stops in half the distance of a Ford Falcon G6 turbo meaning the guy behind runs into you at about 40kph...)

V6S brakes are near identical to V8 and felt up to the task, progressive, predictable at all speeds. (FYI disc specs at http://www.jaguar.com/gl/en/ftype/specifications )

Shift selection of Reverse and park is a bit of a fiddle but I will get used to it, auto shifts were very good and seemed to anticipate me. Others have talked about what Jag calls the "alive" factor, the car wraps around you and becomes an intuitive extension of you rather than something you control externally.. sounds a bit metaphysical but I await more experience with anticipation...

Cruise control is primitive, no braking downhill, no radar, you can't rely on it at all. I use adaptive cruise control on the Audi around town, it's just easy and I keep my license.

It was a short drive, not sure what we got up to but I'd guess 160kph, given that 100kph came up in a blink. Hanging on to my points / license will be a challenge.

Passenger space was better than I expected, I did not open the boot...

Nor did I turn on the radio...

I did set up torque pro and an android phone /bluetooth OBD2 dongle to alert me to engine performance, some bugs I am still working out but it shows promise and I will report in a separate post when they're sorted.

All in all great fun, and great anticipation, and all reservations removed, and a big smile on my wife's face...

Phew!

This Wednesday i will take a V8 and V6S on a track in Sydney, that will be fun, esp since they're run-in and not mine

14 sleeps to go...

Chip said:
Come on folks tell us about how this car behaves on the twisties, in traffic, on back roads, and just your observations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.