Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both systems stopped working on my 2014 S-Type, battery voltage at 12.7 volts with engine off and charging at over 14.2 volts. All fuses are good. Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Both systems stopped working on my 2014 S-Type, battery voltage at 12.7 volts with engine off and charging at over 14.2 volts. All fuses are good. Where do I go from here?
Hi
I have a 2016 f type and the info system along with all controls for the air con heating etc goes out. Come back on goes out etc. I have seen a number of posts on this or a similar fault am told by Jag and an independent that first thing is a software check to see if the system is upto date. Jag wanted £168! The independent wants between 50 -100 depending upon how long. Mine is booked in for 26 June. Lets hope it works after that. Strange how this has only just started happening for a software fault - still that is not my strong point so will bow to the experts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I have a 2016 f type and the info system along with all controls for the air con heating etc goes out. Come back on goes out etc. I have seen a number of posts on this or a similar fault am told by Jag and an independent that first thing is a software check to see if the system is upto date. Jag wanted £168! The independent wants between 50 -100 depending upon how long. Mine is booked in for 26 June. Lets hope it works after that. Strange how this has only just started happening for a software fault - still that is not my strong point so will bow to the experts
Did the system update resolve your issue? My '17 started acting in the same manner yesterday

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My problem was just the radio, phone and navigation. Turned out to be the MOST amplifier that controls all three. $1800 part and labor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My problem was just the radio, phone and navigation. Turned out to be the MOST amplifier that controls all three. $1800 part and labor.
My shaggy dog story continues. Read on if interested. The software update was needed and duly carried out. Drove it home no problem. Next day same problem. Still happens every now and then, sometime straight away sometime after an hour or so. It then starts and stops very quickly and sometime shuts down for 10 mins or more. This is the whole lot, the middle screen and all the vent controls beneath, sometimes they flicker on and off.
I got back in touch with the independent jag workshop (sent them a video of this actually happening) and fair play to them they said unless the fault is present when I take it in they would find it very difficult to find.
Since then I have taken the main screen out along with the vent control and unplugged and lubricated the connections and checked for loose wring etc. Also the same for the boot and passenger door pillar fuse boxes. Same problem still exists. I did get home the other day with it all off and checked the boot fuse box and did not get any power from the fuses but before I could check too much it all came back on again and 12v was present. If thats correct it is telling me that the fault takes the power out to the boot fuse box - not sure how and what feeds that box?
So at the moment lost to know what to do next other than drive the car and hope if fails completely.
It is looking like an internal component breaking down every now and then but quite what that might be I dont know. Either that or a wire grounding every now and then but not enough to blow a fuse.

I will update when I have anymore info

·
Registered
2 Posts
My shaggy dog story continues. Read on if interested. The software update was needed and duly carried out. Drove it home no problem. Next day same problem. Still happens every now and then, sometime straight away sometime after an hour or so. It then starts and stops very quickly and sometime shuts down for 10 mins or more. This is the whole lot, the middle screen and all the vent controls beneath, sometimes they flicker on and off.
I got back in touch with the independent jag workshop (sent them a video of this actually happening) and fair play to them they said unless the fault is present when I take it in they would find it very difficult to find.
Since then I have taken the main screen out along with the vent control and unplugged and lubricated the connections and checked for loose wring etc. Also the same for the boot and passenger door pillar fuse boxes. Same problem still exists. I did get home the other day with it all off and checked the boot fuse box and did not get any power from the fuses but before I could check too much it all came back on again and 12v was present. If thats correct it is telling me that the fault takes the power out to the boot fuse box - not sure how and what feeds that box?
So at the moment lost to know what to do next other than drive the car and hope if fails completely.
It is looking like an internal component breaking down every now and then but quite what that might be I dont know. Either that or a wire grounding every now and then but not enough to blow a fuse.

I will update when I have anymore info

My experience was similar radio turns off, head unit goes dark, a/c control knobs go black, upper vents closed, a/c turns off, camera/safety system warning dealer said there was a short in one of the PC boards. Covered under warranty next day repair, a week later no subsequent issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This sounds like the exact fault I have so many thanks I am living in hope now. However next I need to be able to tell a dealer what part/module it is. Would you have that info, guess not if done under warranty, but jag must have a record of the work and parts changed. A bit of a cheek but are you able to give me your dealer name so I can follow up but I guess they will want your car details and when etc etc and may not wish to talk to me. If you can provide anything to help me identify the part I would be very grateful (beer could be involved) if the lockdown permitted it, my email if you prefer is [email protected].

·
Registered
10 Posts
As note I have been following this up with jag customer relations and they are pants. I was hoping they would send my video around the dealerships asking if this fault was known. After lots of emails etc I got a call from my local jag dealer saying they had had a call from customer relations to get my car booked in. The chap I spoke to (who I had spoken with before) agreed there was no point unless the fault was present, As they had not seen this fault before. so back to square one there ......

·
Registered
10 Posts
RDY3112 - Just realised you are in the States and I am in England so me asking for your dealer details is probably not going the help unless they have email and are willing to hep me?. So are you able to contact your dealer to identify the part they changed, I would forever be in your debt as I am still chasing my tail here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RDY3112 - Just realised you are in the States and I am in England so me asking for your dealer details is probably not going the help unless they have email and are willing to hep me?. So are you able to contact your dealer to identify the part they changed, I would forever be in your debt as I am still chasing my tail here.
If you are asking me, as I indicated above, it was the MOST amplifier J. This has all three issues, (phone, navigation and radio) going through it. Part number is T2R24114. Cost was $1809.99!
Tech had to remove seats and rear compartment to get at it.
Hope this helps. If we're asking me, sorry for getting involved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Joe, sorry I was asking RDY3112 as his problem (solved) is identical to mine, yours, as you say, was did not include the vent controls going out. Also i hope its not that at that price!
Thanks for reply though and maybe that is what they replaced in RDYs car - thats what I need to know and then find out if I can replace it myself as I guess there was a fair labour cost involved from what you have said

·
Registered
10 Posts
An update for those interested. I had a call out of the blue from my local Jag dealer, the business manager, apologizing for the lack of sensible answers to my questions. To cut a long story short even though my jag is now just 4 years old and out of any warranty he offered to take the car in with a cost split of 80/20 - 80 being paid by jag. So as the car was faulting more and more I decided to give it a go and fair play to Jag for the offer.. On the day it went in for the first time when I started the car it was in fault and remained in fault upon arrival at the dealer. They then took the boot liner out and disconnected the rear sensors and blind spot, and reconnected them. They called to say the fault had cleared and I could collect the car. I said unless you specifically had found a fault I did not believe it was fixed. They said they would take it out for another test drive and low and behold the fault was present again. They then dismantled everything looking for a bad connection. I went to see the car a week later with no seats, no boot liner, no coverings behind the seats. no mats etc. They then said it was the alternator not putting out enough to the battery. This I found strange and still cannot get my head round it. Alternators that have failed on me in the past result in quick battery drain leaving the car stranded. The technician told me the Jag system was 'intelligent' and as not enough power was going to the battery it shuts down non essential systems like the entertainment and vent. Ok I can understand this but why only intermittently and over a number of months. The tech said it was probably and intermittent fault on the alternator. So the alternator has been replaced, £550, and they reported the fault was clear. They said they would keep the car a couple of days to test to make sure. Yesterday they reported a 'glitch' where it had faulted again but told me the tech quickly traced this to a connector he had not put back properly...... They will test again this morning. Even if it does not fault and I get the car back I am still puzzled why it was the alternator and it will take a few weeks to gain confidence again. I suspect the next thing will be the battery as it is 4 years old and I have read lots about the Jag being susceptible to low power battery faults. I am thinking of changing that and would do that myself - but read about the jag needed a reset to tell it there is a new battery - not sure what happens if I change it and obviously cant tell the car it has changed as i dont have the software to do so and begrudge giving Jag an hours labour at £168 just to do so.
I will hopefully conclude this story at some point in the future unless I sell the car before hand - first Jag ever and possibly the last!

PS Just a note on the service, good of the business manager to get in touch and make the offer, but following on and during the issues to date he had never responded to me again when I have asked questions. He has left me with the service advisor who has been ok but again is not technical and rarely answers the direct question I ask which does not fill me with confidence they have the technical expertise. Visiting and talking to the tech was helpful but that was as a result of me first asking to visit and no reply then stating I would be there that day invited or not. I find it quite concerning that they don't reply or answer the question. In my line of buisness a reply is crucial even if the answer is 'I dont know but will find out.' Jag still have a way to go on that front in my mind

·
Registered
10 Posts
An update. Went to collect the car Thursday, told all was well and duly paid the bill.
Drove 1/2 a mile down the road and low and behold the fault was there. Drove quickly back to the dealer to find the service manager outside who then witnessed the system shutting down and starting up all by itself.
So not the alternator
Left the car with them. They called yesterday (Monday) saying they had looked and would be talking to jaguar technical to see if they had ideas on what to do next
I am now thinking - what if they cannot find the fault? at what point do they give up and say they cannot fix it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An update. Went to collect the car Thursday, told all was well and duly paid the bill.
Drove 1/2 a mile down the road and low and behold the fault was there. Drove quickly back to the dealer to find the service manager outside who then witnessed the system shutting down and starting up all by itself.
So not the alternator
Left the car with them. They called yesterday (Monday) saying they had looked and would be talking to jaguar technical to see if they had ideas on what to do next
I am now thinking - what if they cannot find the fault? at what point do they give up and say they cannot fix it?
Well in US we have what's called the Lemon Law. If dealer can't fix same problem the car (at least 4 times) can be called a lemon and they have to buy car back and reimbuse you. My son had this in NC on a Suburu WRX he had bought new. He got full price back! Hopefully they can fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the' hope'. A lemon, thats a polite word for the car at the moment. Trouble is I did not buy the car from a Jag dealer so I would be surprised if they would do that, having said that cant believe they would hand the car back saying they cant find the fault either.
There is a deafening silence at the moment, service chap said he would call late Monday to update me, now Wednesday afternoon and no call...... ( back to my point I made earlier about their poor communication and I am beginning to give up on chasing them)
Keep your eyes out for the next installment of this interesting but frustrating saga - good job I have other more reliable cars to use in its absence:) ( not jags)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts