Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too had a roof malfunction within 300 miles and 4 days. It sporadically went up and down and without any intervention several times over a few hours and when driving! Like Gerry I am also currently in an XF loaner (just not the same experience and a poor cousin for me).There needs to be a better option as I bought a convertible! I am being told a new roof switch is the problem. It is being delivered, installed and tested on Monday. Really want my car back, not a good start but I know it will get better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey ZakJag

ZakJag said:
I too had a roof malfunction within 300 miles and 4 days. It sporadically went up and down and without any intervention several times over a few hours and when driving!
Are you saying your roof just started going up and down all by itself ? If so that's a bit different than what I was seeing - but a bad/intermittent switch might explain what I last experienced.

My roof just didn't work like the switch was disconnected - my car sat in the garage for two days over the weekend and when I dropped it off at the dealer it just worked for them they kept it a full day and couldn't get it to fail. I haven't had an issue since I picked it up on Tuesday (only been four days). So it wasn't the convertible top motor this last time, I think that's a good thing. Even though the service guys checked out all my car's wiring, they didn't find anything wrong with the convertible top system. I don't have a warm fuzzy about my issue being solved. I will of course post again if I learn more.

BTW ZakJag let us know how long the switch takes to get to your dealer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Zak; Sorry to hear of your problem. Do keep us posted on what happens. Gerry; What is the status with your roof / motor issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.
I've had a similar issue to Gerry. I'm based in UK, so I think my service is going to be better.
I heard a funny flapping noise from the roof when I put it up, so I thought I'd better test it.
It stuck halfway down, so I drove 1/2 mile to the dealership to drop it off. They think it's a module that has corrupted, something to do with sending commands to the roof motor. They think they can get the new part in by tomorrow. When I pressed the button, it gave me the same warning message that you got, Gerry.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am not liking the looks of this. Keep us posted on the problem and what Jag. considers as "the fix".

·
Registered
48 Posts
After reading this thread, I think I better review the owner's manual again on manually raising or lowering the top. :dodgy:

I will be looking forward to any new posts on this subject.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Tom,

I was the unlucky sod who started this thread seems like only 3-4 people are experiencing convertible top issues. I haven't had any more problems (knock on wood). Then again I use my top more than most had foot surgery and it is much easier to get my crutches in and out if I lower the convertible top.
Tom45 said:
After reading this thread, I think I better review the owner's manual again on manually raising or lowering the top. :dodgy:
Just keep your manual in the trunk - there is a tool (behind the passenger seat) and a procedure - it does not look fun to do - caution I also read somewhere that it is a two person job (this was not in the manual).

The good news it that it seems like 90% of the time (from this thread) it usually fails up or down so at least it is drive-able to the dealership for service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Chip
Chip said:
Gerry; What was the "fix" this last time?
There was no fix when I dropped it off the second time it just happend to start working right when I dropped it off, they checked the wiring and connectors and kept it for two days to see if it failed for them. It only worked right at the service center.

But this morning my window moved twice about an two inches then stopping (no error codes) but the top wouldn't go up.

One thing I do note is that 2 out if 3 times it failed after having the car washed it's back to the dealer at 7:00am sharp (in 15 min). I would guess its the switch except for the fact for the corelation with getting the car washed.

.... another weekend lost with no tooling around SoCal ....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry to hear about the roof , having a car washed should not effect your roof operation come on Jag get your act together

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The dealer tested it today and couldn't find an issue after I dropped it off. I picked the F-Type up and back at the office 30 minutes later it wouldn't go up again, tried for several minutes drove back to the dealership and then to convertible top just worked when I parked in the service line. The tech wants me to bring it in next time when it is failing and ask for him to come out with his test equipment at the service line. I was given the option to leave it but it is hard to trace an intermittent issue when the issue is not happening.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You have to wonder what is going to happen if you get caught out, and need to put it up in the rain? :huh:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Okay last week I had my car washed again, after about 45 minutes I put the top down and it wouldn't go back up. This issue is definitely related to "pressure car washes" but it seems like there is a bit of a delay 30 min to 90 min for the water to work somewhere and mess up the convertible top's electric system. Also invariably overnight it "drys" out and works again.

So I will drop the car off after I go to my "favorite" pressure wash for a few days (and the tech said they would run it through their car wash several times) such that they can try to find an error code when the car is failing when this intermittent issue is active.

And [Chip] I do indeed want to solve this before the Southern California rains hit - not that there is much but you just never know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof Not Lached Error

So I have a 2013 Jag Ftype, its done 20'000 miles, I put the Roof up, and two hours later closed the roof, and it sayid Roof not lached, I am in phoenix where its like 110, to 103, to that didnt go down well, I was lucky it was closed, when this happened. The engine was off for about an hour, went back to the car, and problem fixed.

3 days later, went out had the roof down, for about an hour, put the roof back to the close position, and again error message came up.

Looking at the forum, seems like a sensor error???? any ideas.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
brand new F-Type, roof not latched

Hi all -

I have a brand new 2016 F Type manual that I took delivery of last week. Within the first 24 hours, I got "roof not latched" at 75% closed when it was coming up.

This is what it looks like when it gets stuck. Interestingly, if I let the car sit for about 20 minutes like this, and then come back, it will go fully closed. But the issue happens again after you put it down and try to close again.

I of course sent it straight back to the dealer, and they "reprogrammed the convertible top ECU because it wasn't calibrated correctly". It worked for 24 hours, then after a nice drive with the top down, again it had problems. So now it is back in the dealership and the service advisor is saying there are error codes on "both motors".

My questions:

1. Does anyone have any service manuals, technical detail, engineering info on exactly what and exactly where the issue could be?
2. Has anyone been through this issue and had it resolved for good, and ultimately what was the fix, specifically?
3. I tried the manual process with some crazy wrench under the passenger footwell, but unfortunately the winch that controls it , which is behind the roll bars, is really not accessible when the top is 75% up.

Help! Please share your stories with solutions or suggestions.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
1 Posts
F type roof problem

Hi Josh

I have a 2015 S model and your picture of the roof is exactly the same issue as I've now had several times. The latest being yesterday after a sunny weekend in Yorkshire. Thankfully I got home before the problem hit this time around. Unlike other posts mine has nothing to do with washing or heavy rain. It's used only occasionally with only 4000 miles on it. When it first happened Jaguar roadside assistance came out and the bloody thing worked despite me trying it several times ( ignition off and car locked etc). No explanation of cause. Have only used it a handful of times since and I would say this problem occurs on perhaps 2/3 of the time I use the roof. Only ever on closing and always when the roof hooks are nearly there.

I'm calling Doncaster Jaguar in the morning but wondered if you had any joy in finding the root cause with your dealer so that I can go in armed!

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
my car was returned under CA lemon law

Hi all -

Just a note to let you know that my car was bought back by JLRNA for a full repurchase under California's lemon law.

Ultimately, the last incident that made it meet the standard was when it went into a second dealership, for its 3rd total visit, and spent 23 days there. They replaced the entire convertible top assembly including both motors, and the issue still persisted.

By the way, they denied my claim initially and told me I would get nothing. I then wrote a snail mail letter to their VP of Customer Service NA (Eric something). He referred the case to their Executive Liason, and without further ado I got a buyback letter out of nowhere. Their handling of the matter from that point forward was excellent--I still have the car but they are about to take repossession of it.

As usual with dealers, they tried to take the "no reproduce, no problem" line. So what I did was:

1. Waited until it happened.
2. Took a video on my cell phone showing the roof refusing to move in either direction
3. Had the car towed WITH THE ROOF STUCK to the dealership
4. Put notes on the car indicating that the tow guy and the porters that received at dealer were NOT allowed to close top
5. Took it to a different dealer than was previously dealing with it
6. Made a really big fuss with the service manager

I have all the service records, cell phone videos, VIN and dealer info for anyone who wants it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
roof problems F type

I have a UK based 13 reg Ftype convertible and have had endless problems with the roof operation since February of this year.
Sometimes the roof won't open, sometimes it won't close. Sometimes the problem disappears for no apparent reason.
The dealer has changed the motor and the sensor to no avail and now the guarantee is due to expire.
Jaguar are sympathetic but not helpful.
Anybody know of any solutions
Thanks

21 - 40 of 41 Posts