Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have loved this car since it first appeared and now the prices on used ones with low miles seem doable. Some questions I would love answered. Looking at either a V6 or V6S and likely a roadster.

1. What is the difference between the S and non-S - I see 380hp vs 340. But what else? Suspension? Brakes? Exhaust bark?

2. Would love a manual but are the clutch replacements expensive and how long do they typically last?

3. Did the manual only start in 2017? and only on the non-S version?

4. Any things to worry about with the first few years? or in general?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Rob, between the S and non-S at least in my model year (2014) besides the 40 horsepower is suspension, brakes, dual mode exhaust.. I drove both & the suspension was noticeable, sound went from potentially loud to your choice of that or "OMG" though I picked the S ultimately - it IS intoxicating. I've had manuals all my life & have the automatic and never looked back, lightning fast shifting from either the paddles or the shift lever.

My car only has 15,000 miles on it, & have a transferrable Conntinental warranty that is good through 2023 (bought from dealer) & sadly I'm going to be selling, due to this pandemic completely stopping my business probably for the entirety of this year.

Anyway, it is stratus gray with the Baroque (brown) interior.. Also I added the R-Type wheels. Don't know what I'm asking for it but probably upper $30's ask given it has the warranty, to me that was big for peace of mind.

I've only had one issue, an 02 sensor my Jaguar dealer fixed under said warranty no problem.. Amazing car, my dream car in fact. You will love it.

Good luck in your search! john

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John - Thanks so much for the info. Well it looks like it's an S for me too then. I have always had a manual except for my SUV where they don't exist. So I am glad to hear that the auto is good - looks like the manual came out it 2016 and are a bit rare. It's good to hear they are pretty trouble free too. I have been living with an Acura MDX which is very reliable and extremely practical. But I miss having a sports car.

When the F-type first came out, I was leaving my neighborhood and someone must have been on a test drive - came down the highway and turned right as I sat at the signal. The sound of the pops under downshifting and then the blast up the hill with pops between shifts blew me away. My daughter (11 at the time) was with me. Me: "did you HEAR THAT"? Her: "Hear what"? Sigh. Still stuck in my mind.

I'm a photographer so you can guess that my business has ceased too. But doing video has keeping revenue flowing by using existing B-roll + stock footage and voiceovers to tell the story - having to adapt to a new way of working. doing mostly short PR films and 30 TV ads. It's filling in for the weddings I had cancel this summer. So I feel for you. I know the ups and big downs of self employment. I think the effects will be felt for a few years.

Thanks again!

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the 2016 (non-S). I think the difference is the 40HP, brakes and wheels. Mine has the option of 20” wheels, so I think the only difference you may feel is the 40HP. I have the manual, and there is no lack of fun to “push it”. I doubt you’d miss the S unless on a track. The care does in fact have the dual mode exhaust note. Intoxicating. My car is still on the remaining 5 year warranty which is transferable ( I bought mine in 2018). The pricing is good and bad, the depreciation is rapid, so good to purchase, a little depressing when (if) time to sell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts