Jaguar F-Type Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our newly arrived F-type V6 has a very annoying THUMPING sound
which is coming from the rear of the car. This sound occurs if there is any dip in the road surface, in and out of driveways, left or right
turns and very loud over speed bumps. Speed has no effect on these sounds, they just happen all the time. Sounds like something is loose under the rear of the vehicle. Has anyone else out there have this problem?

Second item. I really do not like the Intelligent on/off feature. The firmware should have it defaulting to the off mode and let the driver turn it on if he/she is eco sensitive. I understand this has something to do with carbon units but why does it have to come on as a default. I like my Jaguar to Purr at a traffic light. Let the Prius be mute!
Pascha

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

My F Type has a knocking sound from the rear as well. Slow or fast but is more apparent with the roof up. Apparently jaguar are aware of the problem.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14 Posts
pascha said:
Second item. I really do not like the Intelligent on/off feature. The firmware should have it defaulting to the off mode and let the driver turn it on if he/she is eco sensitive. I understand this has something to do with carbon units but why does it have to come on as a default. I like my Jaguar to Purr at a traffic light. Let the Prius be mute!
Pascha
AMEN!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
scooby789 said:
Hi

My F Type has a knocking sound from the rear as well. Slow or fast but is more apparent with the roof up. Apparently jaguar are aware of the problem.

Contact your dealer, Jaguar has a fix for that knocking sound on the rear suspension.
They put a insulator sleeve that will eliminate that noise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jmrscuderia said:
scooby789 said:
Hi

Contact your dealer, Jaguar has a fix for that knocking sound on the rear suspension.
They put a insulator sleeve that will eliminate that noise.
The Dealer informed us that this problem can be fixed on a "case by case basis". The parts needed, for some reason, are being shipped via
boat and not air. Sorry to say, this brand new F-type is now in storage
until the parts arrive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thumping Sound

Well, having brought up this subject back in August 2013, I was hoping that the Jaguar fix action would be permanent. Sorry to say, the Thumping Sound from the rear springs has returned with the vehicle only having 1000 miles on it. I will be taking back this coming Wednesday, February 5th, 2014, and see what the problem might be. If your F-Type has a VIN of 6000 to 9999, you are most likely unable to hear this Thumping Sound and are lucky. It is very annoying especially when the top is up. I will keep this Forum updated via this thread: Thumping Sound.......Pascha

·
Registered
42 Posts
My car is one of the unlucky ones that can't be fixed with the current fix. I had to contact JAG USA to get them to allow my dealer to order the new fix. I just came back from dealer and parts are on order from England. I hope this works

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thumping Sound

Thank you for the info and I am sure we are using the same Dealer. I have noted from others using this Forum, that defective shocks might also be a problem. This is a Jaguar warranty problem so I will let them run with it. Will keep you informed.....Pascha

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thumping Sound

Here is the latest information in regards to the Thumping Sound from the rear of the F-Type. As of Feb 6, 2014, Jaguar in the UK is very much aware of this problem. They are also very aware that the first fix action, plastic tubing, did not hold up on the springs. They are working on a second fix action and will notify each customer by letter when a this newer fix action is ready to be installed via your local dealer. For now, we just have to wait.....If anything else comes up in regards to this subject, I will put it on this thread.......Pascha

·
Registered
103 Posts
pasha; Is there any indication that the issue causing the noise is also creating damage in the rear suspension, or components that make up the rear suspension?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thumping Sound

I do not believe that any damage is taking place from the rubbing of the rear springs, but over time it has to be creating some kind of ware when moving metal meets metal. This Thumping Sound also shows up when the transmission is downshifting from 3-2-1. The sound is very annoying and should not be there. The car is back in storage until we receive notice of a fix.....Pascha, Naples, Florida

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not believe that any damage is taking place from the rubbing of the rear springs, but over time it has to be creating some kind of ware when moving metal meets metal. This Thumping Sound also shows up when the transmission is downshifting from 3-2-1. The sound is very annoying and should not be there. The car is back in storage until we receive notice of a fix.....Pascha, Naples, Florida
Thanks for all the updates Pascha. I got my F Type on Thursday and the thumping has already started! :( I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they propose. I initially thought it was a bottle of water flying around my trunk... If you hear of any updates please let us know?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thumping Sound

About 3 weeks ago I had the Modification done to my F-Type for a second time. The first set of plastic rings only lasted about 200 miles and the noise was back. This
newer set of plastic rings seems to have more glue on them and the thumping sound has gone away. Our F-Type still only has about 1600 miles on it and down deep I do not believe that this fix action will last. What is the serial VIN number of your unit.
Ours is 5316 and the newer F Coupes started at about 11000. We have noticed since driving our car that the noise is much more pronounced while the top is up. I think the cab becomes a better noise box when the top is up which transmits sound better. Good luck and hope you have a good dealer...If not, I will give you a point of contact at Jaguar USA...Pascha

·
Registered
103 Posts
"More glue" This does not sound like a lasting fix...I wonder if the coups will / do have this issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! The last few digits of my VIN number are K10264.

I'm waiting for my dealer to get back to me. I'll let you know what he says.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To top it all off the centre air vent console broke on Thursday. The day I got the car! It doesn't retract fully.

So on Thursday, the first day, the air vent breaks and on Friday, the 2nd day, the clunking sound starts.

Not happy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thumping Sound

I was told by Jaguar that serial # 6000 to 11,000 had the modification installed at the Port or during final assembly with the later serials. Yours of course is new with a high number so I am thinking their might be a bit of dis-information going around. Sorry to hear about your air vent. I have seen this reported many times on this forum. Seems like the first production year of any new model will have bugs. Thank goodness we have 4 years ahead of us for Jag to work them out. We did take the New F-Type Coupe out for a spin. With the 550hp motor, which was very loud, one would never hear the Thumping sound that we are discussing here. Maybe that's the fix!!!...Pascha

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told by Jaguar that serial # 6000 to 11,000 had the modification installed at the Port or during final assembly with the later serials. Yours of course is new with a high number so I am thinking their might be a bit of dis-information going around. Sorry to hear about your air vent. I have seen this reported many times on this forum. Seems like the first production year of any new model will have bugs. Thank goodness we have 4 years ahead of us for Jag to work them out. We did take the New F-Type Coupe out for a spin. With the 550hp motor, which was very loud, one would never hear the Thumping sound that we are discussing here. Maybe that's the fix!!!...Pascha
Haha drown it with that sweet engine noise!

I read on another forum that an owner had his right rear strut replaced and that seemed to work? http://www.f-typeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11706#post11706

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2014 F-Type that was manufactured Dec., 2013. The right rear clunks over bumps has been "fixed" twice and has now returned. Is it the suspension or a loose convertible top or gas tank? It’s making me crazy. Has Jaguar found the underlining problem and a permanent fix?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
9 Participants
beemer
Jaguar F-Type Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Jaguar F-TYPE sports car owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing