Jaguar F-Type Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is blowing out a nasty smell when I use the AC and now even with just air blowing. Cabin air filter has been replaced even though it didn’t smell I tried ruling it out. Smelling in the hole where it goes doesn’t seem to smell bad either. Please help if you can I’m about to sell this thing if I can’t figure it out because it’s disgusting. Also there is no evidence of rodents and I park in the garage that is sealed and has never had a mouse in it that I’ve ever noticed. I’ve heard it can be an ac drain issue but I can’t find anything about it on any forum just general car forums which is no help at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just had a problem like this witth my Jeep Grand Cherokee --$2500 total to replace leaking heater core and refill AC coolant ($650) etc
Look for gren fluorescent stain on garage floor from the AC leak.
Lived with the unknown smell for about a month before it became clear that th AC was failing (leaking).
I would have described it more like the smell of hay but you are entitled to your own description!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just to be clear, it took a number of weeks of the "curious" smell before the AC shoed clear signs of failure.
I guess the length of time is proportional to the size of the leak.
So, just because your AC is "working" does not mean there is no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car is blowing out a nasty smell when I use the AC and now even with just air blowing. Cabin air filter has been replaced even though it didn’t smell I tried ruling it out. Smelling in the hole where it goes doesn’t seem to smell bad either. Please help if you can I’m about to sell this thing if I can’t figure it out because it’s disgusting. Also there is no evidence of rodents and I park in the garage that is sealed and has never had a mouse in it that I’ve ever noticed. I’ve heard it can be an ac drain issue but I can’t find anything about it on any forum just general car forums which is no help at all.
Have you changes the air filter and polLen filter yet?

·
Registered
49 Posts
In case you have not yet solved the problem, I just wanted to clarify my earlier posts. The faint smell upon starting the engine and AC began several weeks before the AC finally crapped out, and.
the green fluorescent liquid appeared on the garage floor. Apparently this is the compressor oil which contains a marker dye. It was the last thing to show up as the AC finally crapped out. During the weeks the smell was noticeable, it disppeared within minutes of starting the AC, and the AC seemed to be working normally (until it did not !!).

Here's hoping this is not your expensive) problem. Hope it is something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts